The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 06:07 PM

bear 007 is a jewel in the roughbear 007 is a jewel in the roughbear 007 is a jewel in the roughbear 007 is a jewel in the rough
Default Galvan Brookie

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this reel, its listed on Leland's website but I can't find anything else on it, maybe their just making it exclusively for them.The drag is adjustable internally, I'm just curious whether or not the its just for spool tension or one-way.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:18 PM

surface film is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Galvan Brookie

It's a brand new reel, my guess is the specifications will be up on their site shortly...

It appears to be Galvan's take on a click & pawl design, but with a twist and some amount of adjustment in the tension.

I am sure being made by Galvan, they will rock!
mcnerney likes this.
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach
Old 01-05-2013, 09:02 AM

bear 007 is a jewel in the roughbear 007 is a jewel in the roughbear 007 is a jewel in the roughbear 007 is a jewel in the rough

I'm thinking this one or a sage click for my 3 wt. Winston.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:41 AM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear 007 View Post
I'm thinking this one or a sage click for my 3 wt. Winston.
Word of warning, I have a older Sage Click 3200,new Sage ClickII, Lamson Purist. While I love the reels IMO they only balance well on super light rods. They feel great on my TXL and sub 2.2oz rods but on my ZXL, Elkhorn,Zaxis rods they feel to light.

Before buying a 2oz reel I would take it in the shop and see how it feels on your rod. I made the mistake and didn't. I bought a Purist for my ZXL , was all excited and got it on the water and was disappointed how the swing weight felt. I put that same purist on my TXL and loved it.

Your WT is super light so it should feel good, but don't repeat my mistake.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:24 AM

I don't have the rod yet, its on its way, Winston Biix 8'6" 3wt., its listed at 2 9/16oz, Ive been looking at a Click on ebay with an Sage quiet double taper for a decent price, its due in 3 hrs. Maybe I should hold off, I have no way to test this reel on the rod, the closest dealer is 5hrs south of here. Thanks for the heads up!!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:39 AM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear 007 View Post
I don't have the rod yet, its on its way, Winston Biix 8'6" 3wt., its listed at 2 9/16oz, Ive been looking at a Click on ebay with an Sage quiet double taper for a decent price, its due in 3 hrs. Maybe I should hold off, I have no way to test this reel on the rod, the closest dealer is 5hrs south of here. Thanks for the heads up!!
You know used for a decent price it is worth a roll of the dice as you can always sell it if need be.

I have a 7'6"ZXL that even tough shorter weighs the same as that Winston. I ended up putting a Ross Evolution 0 on it and I love the way it feels.my Evo is the older one so in the new LT version I would have out an Evolution1 on it.

I like my Sage Clicks alot so you might love it too.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:19 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

If you pull the trigger and find the balance is off down the road, lead tape from the golfing industry can help that. Wrap enough on the spool then line it up.
mrfzx, leithel and noreaster like this.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
If you pull the trigger and find the balance is off down the road, lead tape from the golfing industry can help that. Wrap enough on the spool then line it up.
Wow great idea....I used to be a custom club fitter, can't believe I never thought of that
Old 01-05-2013, 11:55 AM

surface film is on a distinguished road

One thing you may consider...

The Sage reel is made in South Korea

Galvan is made in USA

To some that may not matter, to some it would
Jackster, FrankB2, jaybo41 and 1 others like this.
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach
Old 01-05-2013, 12:15 PM

I think I'm going to wait and get some more info on the Galvin, I've got all winter. Thanks everyone for the help.