The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   Reel suggestions for 9ft 5wt Hardy Zenith (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/307091-reel-suggestions-9ft-5wt-hardy-zenith.html)

troutchaser8 01-05-2013 08:36 AM

Reel suggestions for 9ft 5wt Hardy Zenith

I am looking for a large arbor disc drag reel. I have been looking at 3 lately. Those being the Lamson Litespeed, Nautilus Fwx, and the Galvan Torque. Anyone have experience with any of these reels? Any other suggestions are appreciated too! thanks!

surface film 01-05-2013 08:48 AM

Re: Reel suggestions for 9ft 5wt Hardy Zenith

Out of those 3, while all having great drag systems, the Galvan is the most sturdy for sure, but the other two aren't junk by any means.

It would be between the Nautilus and Galvan for me, but for you, well only you can decide.

Good luck!

jaybo41 01-05-2013 01:07 PM

I own both the Litespeed and the Torque. The Litespeed is much lighter than the Torque, but it also has a wider arbor. I'd give the nod to the Torque as my preference between the two. Butter smooth drag and Galvan's customer service has a reputation of being exceptional.

Another one for you to consider for that rod would be the Hardy DD. I've been reading great things about them.

sweetandsalt 01-05-2013 03:49 PM

I fish a Zenith #4 & 5. My 5-weight is well balanced with a Nautilus FWX 5/6 and the #4 with Hardy Ultralite DD 4000. Both are excellent trout reels and my recommendation to you would be the Ultralite DD 5000, stacked drag, very large arbor but narrow width. Pass on the too wide reel.

dean_mt 01-05-2013 03:55 PM

I looked at reels yesterday. The Lamson is super light weight, but I think it looks weird.

leithel 01-05-2013 04:13 PM

After reading sweetandsalt posts at length, I have been moving away from Lamson. If I were to go back though, I would head toward the Speedster. I do have a Litespeed 1 on my 3wt that is serving me well.
How could you possibly go wrong with the Hardy on a Hardy though. ;)

Pocono 01-05-2013 09:22 PM

I have the same rod; I pair it with a Hardy Perfect reel.

Pocono

cletus 01-05-2013 11:48 PM

I have several Torques which I fish on 3-7 wt rods and they have been flawless. I don't have any experience with the Litespeed (I'm in the camp who doesn't like the aesthetics as much as other reels). A fishing buddy of mine has several of the FWXs and swears by them.

They're all great reels. As I've said before, it comes downs to price, aesthetics, and weight. My wife just read this post over my shoulder and I assured her I was talking about reels!

burk48237 01-08-2013 03:33 PM

I've gone Old school with mine, an (hardy built) SA System 6. I like lots of backing an a little extra capacity on my 9 foot rods because I tend to use them on bigger water, bigger fish. Also, I've always like up sizing System or Marquis reels on longer rods.

In a modern reel a UL 5000 DD would be hard to beat and looks damn good on one too. I use this combo a lot at shows for demos.

45srbest 01-08-2013 06:16 PM

I have a Hatch 3 on my sage 9' 5wt z-axis and I like it alot. Seems to balance great.