The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 08:36 AM

troutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nice
Arrow Reel suggestions for 9ft 5wt Hardy Zenith

I am looking for a large arbor disc drag reel. I have been looking at 3 lately. Those being the Lamson Litespeed, Nautilus Fwx, and the Galvan Torque. Anyone have experience with any of these reels? Any other suggestions are appreciated too! thanks!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:48 AM

surface film is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Reel suggestions for 9ft 5wt Hardy Zenith

Out of those 3, while all having great drag systems, the Galvan is the most sturdy for sure, but the other two aren't junk by any means.

It would be between the Nautilus and Galvan for me, but for you, well only you can decide.

Good luck!
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach
Old 01-05-2013, 01:07 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I own both the Litespeed and the Torque. The Litespeed is much lighter than the Torque, but it also has a wider arbor. I'd give the nod to the Torque as my preference between the two. Butter smooth drag and Galvan's customer service has a reputation of being exceptional.

Another one for you to consider for that rod would be the Hardy DD. I've been reading great things about them.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:49 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

I fish a Zenith #4 & 5. My 5-weight is well balanced with a Nautilus FWX 5/6 and the #4 with Hardy Ultralite DD 4000. Both are excellent trout reels and my recommendation to you would be the Ultralite DD 5000, stacked drag, very large arbor but narrow width. Pass on the too wide reel.
fly2field likes this.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:55 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I looked at reels yesterday. The Lamson is super light weight, but I think it looks weird.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:13 PM

leithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura about

After reading sweetandsalt posts at length, I have been moving away from Lamson. If I were to go back though, I would head toward the Speedster. I do have a Litespeed 1 on my 3wt that is serving me well.
How could you possibly go wrong with the Hardy on a Hardy though.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:22 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I have the same rod; I pair it with a Hardy Perfect reel.

Pocono
Old 01-05-2013, 11:48 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

I have several Torques which I fish on 3-7 wt rods and they have been flawless. I don't have any experience with the Litespeed (I'm in the camp who doesn't like the aesthetics as much as other reels). A fishing buddy of mine has several of the FWXs and swears by them.

They're all great reels. As I've said before, it comes downs to price, aesthetics, and weight. My wife just read this post over my shoulder and I assured her I was talking about reels!
Old 01-08-2013, 03:33 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

I've gone Old school with mine, an (hardy built) SA System 6. I like lots of backing an a little extra capacity on my 9 foot rods because I tend to use them on bigger water, bigger fish. Also, I've always like up sizing System or Marquis reels on longer rods.

In a modern reel a UL 5000 DD would be hard to beat and looks damn good on one too. I use this combo a lot at shows for demos.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:16 PM

45srbest is on a distinguished road

I have a Hatch 3 on my sage 9' 5wt z-axis and I like it alot. Seems to balance great.
leithel likes this.