The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default This seems to be the trend so I'm gonna join...

Reel suggestions for a 10 WT BVK please.

I'm considering a Nautilus, a Galvan, and the new Allen Kraken.

I know nothing about the first two.

I'm getting the rod as a back up to my 8 wt BVK for a LA Redfish trip this spring. I was gonna just get another faster 8 wt but decided I might as well get a 10 wt.

Who knows what else it will be used for.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:10 PM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough
Default Re: This seems to be the trend so I'm gonna join...

Depending on which Nautilus, if it's the FWX your looking at I say go for a Galvan Torque. I just got a FWX5/6 and it's a nice reel but it just doesnt feel butter smooth to me. It could be that I've just been spoiled fishing all Abels for a while now but the tolerances on the FWX just seem to be a bit loose and it's noticeable while reeling in slack line. I still like the FWX and will be keeping it but I would have been happier with a Torque.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:37 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I don't think the FWX comes in the size I need.

Quote:
FWX 1/3: WF3F + 110 yds of 20lb backing. 3.4 oz. $255/$125
FWX 3/4: WF3F + 110 yds of 20lb backing. 3.6 oz. $265/$130
FWX 5/6: WF5F + 150 yds of 20lb backing. 3.8 oz. $275/$135
FWX 7/8: WF7F + 200 yds of 20lb backing. 4.1 oz. $325/$160
Old 01-06-2013, 02:29 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I fish an FWX 5/6 and it is a fine trout reel. For your purposes the Nautilus NV is called for and that is a reel in another class altogether. I fish an NV 10/11 Giga boefishing an it is terrific. Take a look at Hardy's Fortuna X...this is a great reel not getting the recognition it deserves. I also wonder why the Ross F1 gets so little consideration. All three of these reels have a lot of drag sweep area important to saltwater flats fishing.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:44 PM

What about the Redington Rise?

It's a sealed rag, saltwater capable reel. It get's good reviews in the smaller sizes but I've seen no reviews on the 9/10.

I'm asking because they are in model closeout right now.

I realize that when getting into the class of fishing (The kind of fish you use a 10 wt for) that I need to not cheap out on the reel like you can with a 3 wt. I'm just curious.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:47 PM

trout sniper is on a distinguished road

Don't overlook the Nautilus CCF. Cork and carbon fiber drag, in between the FWX and the NV, very nice reel. The only cons are that it is not cheap, and it is heavy.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:05 PM
sbreech

The Bauer Rogue is also an excellent choice, right along with a Nautilus.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:43 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Based on my T-6, the Torque gets my vote. Buttery smooth drag, low start up inertia and exceptional customer service from Galvan. Made in the US if that's important to you.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Shameless plug I met the Allen guys at the Denver show today, super impressed with their products. I want to buy an 8WT just to have an excuse to buy their Kraken reel.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
Shameless plug I met the Allen guys at the Denver show today, super impressed with their products. I want to buy an 8WT just to have an excuse to buy their Kraken reel.

It is definitely on my list.