The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By axle27
  • 2 Post By woodrivertroutbum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 06:17 PM

troutbanger20 is on a distinguished road
Default Set Up Question

I am buying a 7wt rod, and have a 5-6 reel and do not want to buy another reel. Should I put 6wt line on the reel and use it on the 7wt rod or ditch some backing and put 7wt line on the 5-6wt reel. The reel is a lamson konic.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:15 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Set Up Question

I don't think there'd be a problem putting a 7wt line on. What are you targeting? Any chance they'd get out all your line and backing?
Old 01-06-2013, 08:05 PM

I wish but probably not just medium size bass.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:08 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

IF you're not into getting a new reel, ditch some backing. My only concern, sometimes, is balance. Some think this is important, others do not. I find that a properly balanced rod is easier to cast all day.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:09 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

Another option is 50lb braided fishing line. Pretty much gell spun backing. It is a lot thinner than 20lb backing so you can fit a lot more on and some brands have hi-viz colors if thats what you like. Power Pro makes red and I think Suffix makes a hi-viz orange.
mrfzx and wishiniwerfishin like this.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:47 AM

That's a good idea actually. I could also just get a cheap reel for 50 bucks that is 7wr.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:37 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

Yep, check out the lamson konic. The recently discontinued model of it can be found for around $100 brand new. My girlfriend just got the Konic 4 for $129 with free shipping. I THINK you would want the Konic 3 but double check to make sure that is the correct line weights before you order if you decide to. Personally, I like this discontinued version a lot better than the new one. They are the same reel, the new one is just 3 different colors which I personally dont like at all. The drag knob is dark grey like the older konic, the reel frame is black and the spool is silver like the lamson guru.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:13 PM

mi_trouter is on a distinguished road

Allen Alpha II on clearance last I looked. Really like mine. $99 is a steal. And, in my experience, customer service can't be beat.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:42 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

If you're looking for reel closer to $50 I have a couple of reels from The Angler's Roost. They are machined and I like the look for them. They've worked well for me and I have had a few fish on the drag. Depending on what you're fishing for on that 7wt it could be a good way to go.