The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 11:30 PM

trout333 is on a distinguished road
Default Custom fly reel handles?

I just purchased an Allen Trout 2 fly reel and am fancy to the idea of getting a cool new handle. Are there any knurled handles or other decorative quality accessories available in the market place? I see Abel makes replacement handles for their reels. Are most handles universal?

Anyone else know where to get the neatest accessories for rods, reels, etc?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:35 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Custom fly reel handles?

I have never heard of it, but I suppose you could get someone that turns pens to make you one. If you went with wood I'd definently use stabilized wood though.
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:43 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

You could start this and make some money haha, but yeah same as Dan I have never heard of anyone messing with the handle.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
If you went with wood I'd definently use stabilized wood though.
Is stabilized wood treated or something like that?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:52 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Just typically means it is dried and stable so it wont move much.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:49 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout333 View Post
Is stabilized wood treated or something like that?
It's pressure cooked in a resin. Some of it they dye the resin. Some of it is even dyed twice. It soaks into the harder parts last so you get a two or three color effect. I put it in my rods a lot.
Click the image to open in full size.

My 10 wt. with double dyed/stabilized box elder burl.
kelkay and argail like this.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:56 AM

williamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant future

There was someone at the Denver Fly Fishing show who makes some pretty amazing custom rod grips and other accessories out of wood. Look up Green Drake Rods, he's down here in the Denver area. He's a really nice guy and gave me some good pointers making wood grips. I don't know if he replaces reel handles, but could be worth an ask. I've bought reel seat inserts from Dave Winslow, whose in the Denver area as well and he could be another good person to check with.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
It's pressure cooked in a resin. Some of it they dye the resin. Some of it is even dyed twice. It soaks into the harder parts last so you get a two or three color effect. I put it in my rods a lot.

My 10 wt. with double dyed/stabilized box elder burl.
Beautiful woods! I'd love to have a shiny custom wood carved or turned handle. Maybe even painted. This is overboard but wood trimmed in aluminum, nickel, anything. Maybe set a couple diamonds, lol!!! Who doesn't want the setup with a 14k gold trimmed brazilian cherry handle? That would be so cool...
Old 01-07-2013, 01:15 AM
Banned

I got a Venelli Nickle/Silver hardware, Cherry crotch seat I'm saving for the right rod. I did a Brazilian Rosewood Burl insert for a rod I did for a friend. That was one of the prettiest pieces of wood I ever saw. I promised it to him before I turned it or I might have put it on a rod for myself. The reason I said to use stabilized wood is that it will be small and your wet fingers on it all the time. When they are stabilized they are as much plastic as wood and you don't have problems like swelling when they are wet or the humidity is high, split along the grain first time you crank it hard or bang it. It's good stuff and you can get it in a lot of woods. Burls are something you can get in stabilized form. There is even a company that will stabilize your wood for you. It's not cheap to have done though and you can't just send them a handle sized piece to do. The best thing for a small project like that is a pen blank. In fact the best person to turn it for you is a guy who does pens. They have the small mandrels you need. I have the stuff to turn seat inserts and make you a really nice table leg but I'd have to buy a smaller mandrel to turn a handle that or turn it on a live center with the hole in it on a bigger piece..... It could be done, but I'd find a pen guy.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:09 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout333 View Post
I just purchased an Allen Trout 2 fly reel and am fancy to the idea of getting a cool new handle. Are there any knurled handles or other decorative quality accessories available in the market place? I see Abel makes replacement handles for their reels. Are most handles universal?

Anyone else know where to get the neatest accessories for rods, reels, etc?
I suspect you are talking about the little black plastic handle on your Allen reel?

Stabilized wood, is treated to where the wood basically has the propertiess of hardened plastic due to the resin impregnation process. The wood will never get truly wet and swell and crack from moisture.

I am sure someone makes a custom reel handle if you dig enough. I wouldn't mind one myself for my Trout II.