The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 07:03 PM

troutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nice
Arrow Bauer Reels

Has anyone Used a Bauer reel? Any input is appreciated! Thanks!!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:22 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Bauer Reels

I have a couple and can't say a bad thing about them at all.
They have top-notch workmanship and support with extremely smooth drags. I also like the width size of the spools... not too wide (for me anyhow) and not too narow... just right.
Okay... being a weight-weenie, maybe there's one small thing I would like to see them do is lose a few grams of fat. Not that they're heavy but it wouldn't do any harm.
golfnfish likes this.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Bauer CFX 5. It has a really smooth drag. I have no complaints. It has a really big star drag set inside the spool so it keeps your running line from hooking on it as it flies up from the ground or a basket. The grag has a click set also. Seems to have a very durable finish. I have only had it for a couple of years now, but it has not got a scratch yet and I do set it on the rocks when I land fish. Key word being set, not drop and then kick around.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:28 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I have a Bauer MSL 2.0 on a Orvis Hydros 6WT

Unbeilavable craftsmanship, fit, drag, smooth as silk. I love everything about it. I can't imagine a reel with any better craftsmanship. I love my Ross and Sage reels but the quality feel is night and day when I grab the Bauer.

Doesn't hurt I was born and spent the first 24 years of my life in Medford Or and Bauer is made right down I-5 in Ashland

I did have a question about a "squeaky drag" they emailed me back with details of cause and how to alleviate correctly.Squeak is gone.
rogerover likes this.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:31 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I regretfully sold my MZ5 I loved it, smoother than a $5 milkshake.
comeonavs likes this.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:38 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I regretfully sold my MZ5 I loved it, smoother than a $5 milkshake.

$5 shake that's hilarious, thinking Pulp Fiction of course

"Did you just order a five-dollar shake? I gotta know what a $5 shake tastes like"

Great analogy though Bauer reels are incredibly smooth.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:18 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I have two. A Jr McKenzie and a Rogue. My Rogue...

Click the image to open in full size.

Bauers are works of art and you wont regret buying one.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:51 AM

blackbear will become famous soon enough

All of my reels except one are bauers..they are problem free and super smooth.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:49 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Hi Troutchaser8,

We’ve got a few Bauer’s ( nine of them and a few spare spools are shown here, along with a couple of other brand reels ), mostly they're M, MSL and LMSL series reels which offered some spare spool compatibly with each other from one series to the next.
While Bauer’s aren’t the only reels we own and use, they see more days on the water than most of our other reels.

Best, TT
Old 01-08-2013, 11:38 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Bauer Reels

With little exception, I'm not the least impressed with 'high end' reels. The Bauer is one of those 'an exception.' Cracker Jack equipment.