The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By caseywise
  • 1 Post By dar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 AM

tallytown is on a distinguished road
Default good reel for 8' 6" st croix 4 wt rod

I ordered the rod for panfish and trout and would like recommendations for a reel, preferably for less than $200.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:28 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: good reel for 8' 6" st croix 4 wt rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallytown View Post
I ordered the rod for panfish and trout and would like recommendations for a reel, preferably for less than $200.
Lamson Konic 1.5 or 2.0
Old 01-10-2013, 10:36 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Any reel that holds line and fits your style preferences.

Not much of a need for any fancy drag systems or large capacity of backing
Old 01-10-2013, 10:36 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

check out allens new ats series-
ATS Reel Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store
comeonavs and mi_trouter like this.

ARFE
Old 01-10-2013, 10:44 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
check out allens new ats series-
ATS Reel Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store
This!!!

I just paired a Allen Trout II up with my Z Axis and it is great. The St Croix rods have a heavier overall weight, so if you go to light it will feel screwy. For $140 you can't go wrong with an Allen.

I had a Konic and while it was fine, being cast I found it was more prone to dings and dents. They didn't affect performance but I don't like things looking like they aren't taken care of. The new Konics with that coating probably would fit my liking much more than the old version.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 01-11-2013, 12:41 AM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

I have an Orvis BBS on mine, works great and balances nicely.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 AM

dar is on a distinguished road

I have a St Croix Imperial (newer version) 8 1/2' 4wt and also have an Orvis BBSII with a 4wff line. And it is a nice set up.

Someone suggested the ATS from Allen. I have thought about getting that reel for my 4wt. I just purchased the Trout2 for my Legend Elite 9' 5wt and I am really impressed with the quality and craftmanship. You can't beat the price.

Dave
noreaster likes this.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:18 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the above comments - love my Battenkill Barstock, Konic, and Allen reel (I have a Trout 5/6). Depending on the look you want, for the money I love the 100 and 200 series that The Angler's Roost sells. I have one on a 4wt bamboo and my wife and dad have them on their 4 and 5wt rods, respectively. Converting it to right hand retrieve was a pain but if your a righty that won't be an issue.

Here's a picture of my dad's on a 5wt with my 4wt reel spooled with Cortland Sylk on the table behind it.

Click the image to open in full size.