The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 12:10 PM

surface film is on a distinguished road
Default Abel Reels Under New Ownership

Abel Reels - News Releases
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach
Old 01-10-2013, 12:27 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Abel Reels Under New Ownership

Last week a forum participant complained of a man with a smeared name being in an ownership position at Abel...all in the past now as Abel Reels keep getting narrower and better.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Last week a forum participant complained of a man with a smeared name being in an ownership position at Abel...all in the past now as Abel Reels keep getting narrower and better.
Was one of the reasons I posted this

Makes you wonder if the change in ownership had anything to do with the smearing of that apparently ex-stakeholders last name... LOL

I always like to keep in mind, you can choose your Friends, but your stuck with your Family LOL
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach
Old 01-10-2013, 02:25 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I'm a huge fan of Abel reels and own a number of them from trout reels to steelhead & salmon reels. Obviously it's difficult to obtain any information of significant value from a modest press release but from what I can see it looks like a move in the right direction and I view it as positive news.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:33 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I have been assured by an industry friend that all will remain as it has been...same fine folks running the company and making the reels right here in the USA (OK, OK, California).
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I have been assured by an industry friend that all will remain as it has been...same fine folks running the company and making the reels right here in the USA (OK, OK, California).
Yeah, some would say California is in a league all of its own LOL
jaybo41 and leithel like this.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:58 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent news so it seems. Hopefully things stay the same. The few Abel products I own are nothing short of top notch.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:28 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

I have never owned or looked at Abel until someone on this site brought them up. I really like the looks of their reels and will probably be buying some. Hopefully they stay how they are which seems to be a good company from a product stand point.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:13 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

This certainly isn't the first time I've heard "all will remain as it has been...same fine folks running the company".
It seems with a lot of companies, when removed from their founders and originators (the people who actually put in the long hours and sweat equity to build the company) something is lost. I firmly believe it is the passion for the product itself as it goes without saying that an investment company has one main goal, to make money. If that means they cheapen the product or take manufacturing to China to turn a quick buck that they usually will. Many times they live for a while just milking the name for all it is worth.
Personally, I would like to see more innovators and creators rather than money changers and investment types in this country but that sort of thinking harkens back a generation or two.
Only time will tell how this plays out.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:30 AM

I agree wholeheartedly that "I would like to see more innovators and creators rather than money changers and investment types in this country". It is our traditional strength and from where our old-fashioned passion for quality comes from. The Abel's had to sell the company for health reasons and the purchaser, another investment group, changed nothing but undoubtedly made money on the sale to this newest "Mayfly" group. The gentleman the runs the company and continues the refinement and design innovation in the products themselves is the same guy who was doing this with Steve Abel when he owned the company. This is my cause for optimism. If we start feeling some flex in these reels or they feature little peel-off oval stickers indicating off-shore origin...I will eat my words and say really bad things about financial imperatives. But for now I feel good about the future one of our few Halo reels.