The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 08:09 PM

barham will become famous soon enough
Default Ross 8wt Gunnison v Ross Evolution

I own and fish the 8wt Gunnison. I hear great things about the Evolution. How to they compare and should I consider buying the Evolution in lieu of the old Gunnison which I like.
Someone tell not to do it!
barham
Old 01-11-2013, 08:33 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ross 8wt Gunnison v Ross Evolution

I'd get the older and original Evolution off of Ebay. It weighs less than the newer Evolution LT.

The older Evo 3.5 is 4.5 oz and the newer Evo LT 3.5 is 4.8 oz. Both hold 8 wt lines. The newer evo has the same spool width but is .1" greater in diameter.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-11-2013, 09:26 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

barham,
i've owned a few gunnisons in the past and loved them. the super smooth drag combined with old school ross co's fine machining made them top notch reels.
i still own a g3(pre '98) and love it
as far as todays reels go, sure its its outdated and heavy, but i think its still a great reel.

casey

ARFE
Old 01-11-2013, 10:05 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I'd get the older and original Evolution off of Ebay. It weighs less than the newer Evolution LT.

The older Evo 3.5 is 4.5 oz and the newer Evo LT 3.5 is 4.8 oz. Both hold 8 wt lines.
Totally agree here... I have original Evos in 2 and 3, love em. The 2 is my go-to trout reel, and the drag should still be ample on the species you'd target with an 8 wt and a 3.5. Smooth and awesome