The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 07:03 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice
Default Re: Question on reel weight for a 9' 6wt.

I like a Ross Colorado 3 on my 9' 6wt Z-Axis. I think the reel is 5 oz.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:41 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

You will notice many of The Modern Reels are Skeleltonised by Machining which makes them Lighter so in fact on some Rods you can use a Larger Reel & still maintain a good balance.
Brian
Old 01-18-2013, 08:16 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

A 1 oz difference is significant amount in a reel for 6 wt line.

If there is a need for a reel to "balance"with a rod, it is not for casting but for fishing.

You need to know how much line will be out for your average fishing; and how do you want to hold the rod for most of your fishing; neural, tip up, or tip down.

For example, if you short line nymph and you hold the rod tip up most of the time, you don't want a reel so light that it balances tip down or neutral. You would be fighting the natural balance of the outfit. That is why most euro nymphers with 11 foot rods tend to favor reels heavy enough to balance the rod in a tip up position. If the rod reel naturally assumes that position, there is one less thing to manage and less arm fatigue.

Some rods are tip heavy and some are tip light. I prefer a tip light rod and a light rod overall, so I use light reels for my fishing.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-18-2013, 11:26 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
A 1 oz difference is significant amount in a reel for 6 wt line.

If there is a need for a reel to "balance"with a rod, it is not for casting but for fishing.

You need to know how much line will be out for your average fishing; and how do you want to hold the rod for most of your fishing; neural, tip up, or tip down.

For example, if you short line nymph and you hold the rod tip up most of the time, you don't want a reel so light that it balances tip down or neutral. You would be fighting the natural balance of the outfit. That is why most euro nymphers with 11 foot rods tend to favor reels heavy enough to balance the rod in a tip up position. If the rod reel naturally assumes that position, there is one less thing to manage and less arm fatigue.

Some rods are tip heavy and some are tip light. I prefer a tip light rod and a light rod overall, so I use light reels for my fishing.
Thank you, that helps alot. I am kicking the tires on what reel to get for my new rod. I know there won't be a massive difference between a 3.6 oz reel and a 3.9oz reel. It is a 9" 3wt and I tend to fish a little more tip up.

So many variables to consider, but in the end it really won't matter to much for me as it is ultralight gear anyway. I imagine these differences get magnified as you get in to bigger gear as in 6wt and above

"Snap it" Hank Patterson