Reel for Hardy 5wt Deluxe Bamboo Rod?

nrp5087

Reaction score
I have recently aquired the above rod and plan to use it however I do not have a reel for it... Any suggestions on the a reel on the market? Should it be a heavier reel to balance the rod or lighter (im new to bamboo rods) etc? Thanks a head of time

FrankB2

Reaction score
A Hardy reel might be a good choice. I bought a 7' 4wt bamboo rod, and it felt great with an Orvis BBSIII reel. I bought another rod from the same maker, but asked for a 7'6" length (both based on Dockerson tapers). The 6" longer rod felt much more tip heavy with the same reel, so length will be a factor in your decision.

leithel

Reaction score
I have a Hardy LRH that I'm saving for a Jenkins 7'9" 5wt bamboo rod.
If you have the funds though a Perfect would be well..........perfect.

gt05254

Reaction score
Just to be contrary, English (that would be Hardy)-made Orvis CFO III. Classic good looks combined with legendary performance. LOL, I should write copy for Orvis.
Gary

nrp5087

Reaction score
I ordered a medalist on ebay everything else you guys were putting up there were far to expensive for a fella like me to afford. I just want to use the rod with somehwat time period fitting reel so i got two medalists for 80$

thorsten

Reaction score
I ordered a medalist on ebay everything else you guys were putting up there were far to expensive for a fella like me to afford. I just want to use the rod with somehwat time period fitting reel so i got two medalists for 80$
That classic reel should also fit very well.

golfnfish

Reaction score
You might try an Orvis Battenkill 5/6 English made click and pawl. They regularly sell on Ebay used for $100 or less. Another good choice for a more moderate priced reel that looks good on cane would be the Hardy Marquis 5 or the Scientific Angler System #5, both English made click and pawl reels by Hardy. You can generally find the SA reel for a little less $ even though they are the same reel and will sell for $150 or less, sometimes much less.

nrp5087

Reaction score
Is the 1495 medalist only right hand retrieve? or can one make it a left hand retrieve?

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

I have found my answer looks like ill be learning to be ambidextrous with my rods :fishing: