The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 09:08 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Reel for 330 grain line?

I recently picked up a Sage Bass rod that was too cheap to pass up. It's the 330 grain Largemouth model. As far as I understand, the head of the line is short and heavy. When I look up to see what 330 grains is, its closest to 11 weight. Am I going to need a reel that will hold an 11 weight line, or am I missing something here? Would the 330 grain bass line be closer to an 8 weight in terms of capacity due to its short heavy head? There are a lot of warm water lakes around here that hold some monster size warm water fish. I plan to use this rod for pike, muskie (if I'm lucky), and wiper...anything that's big and swims really .

What size of reel should I be looking for?

Thanks for the help!
Chase
Old 01-16-2013, 10:14 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Reel for 330 grain line?

Can't answer your question specifically, as I'm not sure about the line, but generally reels are rated for capacity with a full length line & a given amount of backing. If that line is larger in diameter than most regular 8 wt fly lines, then it would limit capacity some, but that could be adjusted with less backing. If you feel you need extra backing, then you'll probably be better off with a larger reel.

Also, reel weights vary, so going to a larger reel, which may be heavier, may or may not be a problem. I have a 10 wt with an 11/12 wt reel on it because I wanted a bit more capacity. This is what I use for Striped Bass fishing, and there's the possibility I might encounter other species where the added capacity might be needed. Normally, I could get away with a reel sized for a 10 wt line, but I got the reel at a good price & like to be prepared for anything. The reel is a bit heavy, (Okuma Integrity, relatively inexpensive, but very suitable for the fishing I do.) but balances with my rod quite well, so it's not a problem.

No easy answer to your question, all really depends on your projected needs & of course what you're willing to spend on that reel.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-16-2013, 12:05 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting to google this line of rods. Lots of info on the rod, but practically zip on the line, save for grain weight. That said, it appears these are custom cut lines (head system) that 'short and sweet. My guess, as this is a single hander type rod the 330, etc, is just the first 30 feet IF the line follows the standard SINGLE HANDER line guide. My guess is the lines probably 90' long (again, a standard) and would easily fit on a reel rated for a 7/8 wt. As for backing you'd want about 75 yards of 30# backing (perhaps more to fill up the reel).

Guest1, mrfzx and wt bash like this.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:18 AM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

I think an Abel BG 3 would be a good reel to consider. You can find them on eBay or on forums like this one that offer classifieds.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:24 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

If you need to cast large, wind resistant, heavy flies to waiting predators, bucko, you've found your line! The new Sage Performance Bass Taper Fly Lines are specially designed with a short, heavy belly and quick front taper to turn over big flies and heavy leaders. The floating Sage Bass Lines redefine an angler's ability to throw big bugs with ease and are available in two line weights; 290 grains and 330 grains. These lines were just recently designed as a custom match for the two new awesome 7' 11" Sage Bass Fly Rods, the Smallmouth and Largemouth, respectively. However, these lines will function very well on your own rods, with the 290 grain model castable on 8 or 9 weight rod, and the 330 grain model on a 9, 10 or 11 weight rod.

Specifications:
•Type of Taper: Short Belly Weight Forward
•Density: Floating
•Total length: 80 feet (24.4m)
•Color: Pale green
•Available Sizes: 290 grains or 330 grains
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-25-2013, 09:03 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Reel for 330 grain line?

Sounds like a page out of the 2hander Skagit line play book. Short, sweet, heavy and to the point. Length at 80' is a new one on me.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:09 AM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

any 8 wt. reel will be great! i know the rio outbound short line is 315grs. for 8wt. and still have room for 100yrds of backing....maybe a tad more.