The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 11:09 AM

gshankuf is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Abel or Hatch????

I have a Hatch 7+ and over 250 yds of backing with 9wt. bonefish taper. Hatch has a new Backing out that is 65lb breaking strength and smaller diameter than most 20lb dacron. Best reel I have had so far. But like many have said before me. They are all quality reels. When you pick one, it will be the best one for you.
leithel likes this.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:22 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I have:

Hatch Finatic 3+ on ZG Helios 5wt
Hatch Finatic 5+ on ZG Helios 7wt

You can't go wrong with either from what I've read and seen about Abels. I don't own one but would like to.

Besides the mechanics (the reel and foot are completely integrated, no screws, and the drag is completely/truly sealed) it was the looks of the Hatch that was the deciding factor.

Hatches tend to run a little heavy as you can see for a superlight Helios rod.
leithel likes this.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 01-29-2013, 12:16 AM

makrel is on a distinguished road

I have a Hatch Finatic 7+ and an Abel Super 9. Both are great. I fish the Abel on my 9 and 10wt rods with sinking lines from the boat when chasing Longtail tuna, Spanish Mackerel etc in my home waters (Tropical North Australia).

Reading many of these forums has made me a bit paranoid about the non-sealed drag in the Abel (though it has not posed a problem for me). Thus my purchase of the Hatch for flats fishing.

My Hatch 7+ is my newest addition to the family and I just fished Autitaki with it for 2 weeks and loved it. Those big bonefish there gave it a great work out and it is one smooth bit of kit. It sits well on my 7, 8, and 9wts.

My next reel will be a Hatch 9+ or 11+? But I note Abel Supers are being run out at good prices these days.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:31 PM

Gerard will become famous soon enoughGerard will become famous soon enough

Well as usual things never quite go to plan!!!
I have bough 1 reel....and neither of the ones I mentioned. I am still going to get another.

I got an incredible deal (way below list) on a Sage 8080pro...their latest offering.
It is marketed as an 8wt, however from the little info available I understand it will take a 10wt line with 200yds or so of gelspun backing.
I will put some pics up when I get a chance. The quality is excellent (Korean I know) and the drag.....wow! The drag was designed by Jack Charlton of Mako fame.

Many thanks for the suggestions etc.....I'm still looking
Old 01-30-2013, 03:08 PM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by makrel View Post
Reading many of these forums has made me a bit paranoid about the non-sealed drag in the Abel (though it has not posed a problem for me).
I see it a little bit differently. I think the open drags of the Abel are a benefit as they are user maintainable. I have a Nautilus NV and while I like it, I started to see that the performance relies on the roller bearing inside the sealed drag unit. I have seen a few other makes that used roller bearings in a "sealed" unit rust up and fail. The nature of the failure is one doesn't know it is coming until it happens. In the case of the Abel, if the owner is willing to take the spool off and inspect the drive dogs and springs from time to time and occasionally oil the cork, there is little chance of anything ever going wrong with it.

A few people in the North East have squawked about the Abel's open porting not being good in heavy surf conditions as it is possible for the pawls to stick open due to sand getting in there resulting in a drag free reel. Even if that does happen, all one has to do is take the spool off and rinse the pawls off and your back in business. That piece of mind is the reason I will be switching the Nautilus to an Abel on my 8wt. Plus they are just so freaking nice and well made it's hard not to want one.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:48 AM

djtjr is on a distinguished road

Both great but the Abel is bombproof
wishiniwerfishin and 1move like this.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:46 AM

45srbest is on a distinguished road

On a smaller scale, I use a Hatch 3 Finatic on my 5wt, but I just ordered an Able 5n for my 6wt. I will let you know what I think comparison wise when I receive and get a chance to use it. By the way, my Hatch is great but I just wanted to use the Able on my 6wt because I never used a super series and hear good things about them to. It will be used primarily for smallmouth, occasional small carp and smaller bonefish when I go on vacation.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:43 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

If I am not mistaken, Nautilus NV uses a fully sealed ceramic bearing to avoid the damage prevalent among lesser and more exposed bearings in less costly reels. I have put my NV and Hatch through their paces bonefishing and they are winners, however, I agree with Grouch that an Abel Super is user maintainable thus all but failure proof so I own and fish both top quality sealed drags and top quality draw-bars and go merrily on my way to anywhere.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:54 AM

kuch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
I have:

Hatch Finatic 3+ on ZG Helios 5wt
Hatch Finatic 5+ on ZG Helios 7wt

You can't go wrong with either from what I've read and seen about Abels. I don't own one but would like to.

Besides the mechanics (the reel and foot are completely integrated, no screws, and the drag is completely/truly sealed) it was the looks of the Hatch that was the deciding factor.

Hatches tend to run a little heavy as you can see for a superlight Helios rod.
I also use a 3 plus Finatic on my 4 and 5 weight Winstons. I run a 5 plus Finatic on a Scott S4 7wt. All of these rods balance nicely with the Hatch reels. I also have an Abel Super 4n that I used to use for my 5wt until I got the Hatch 3 plus. What did it for me was the Hatch's ability to easily change spools as well as the drag system. The Abel's are very very nice but I feel Hatch edges them out in terms of functionality and in my opinion are every bit as nice looking. You can't go wrong either way but I would recommend the Hatch over the Abel.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:47 AM

highjumper is on a distinguished road

I have a Hatch 3+ that I use for a 9' 5wt Scott S3. Honestly, I wish it were heavier on occasion. So I guess I don't fit into the ultra light / perfectly balanced camps. As for performance, the reel is superb. My only concern is how soft Hatch's aluminum seems to be. It nicks fairly easy and even the threads for the drag fastening screw tend to strip. I suspect an Abel is more durable.