The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 12:49 PM

Gerard will become famous soon enoughGerard will become famous soon enough
Default Abel or Hatch????

I'm in a real dilemma. I'm going to get 2 new saltwater reels for my 8wt & 10wt Helios rods.
Where I'm based means that getting to handle the reels in question is difficult though I have checked the Abels out (Super 8 & Super11N) but unable to find Hatch reels other than mailorder. ( I have checked out the other usual suspects but have narrowed it down to these two because of of either: reviews, costs, quality, aesthetics or availability).
I've not been able to check the reels out on a Helios for balance either.

Hatch for the 8wt and a Super 9 for 10wt?
Any thoughts?
Old 01-23-2013, 12:51 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Abel or Hatch????

what about a orvis reel or a nautilus.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-23-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
what about a orvis reel or a nautilus.
I looked at the Mirage and was a little disappointed in the finish...given they've just upped the price by 50 here. Not many reviews either. I did want to like them as they would match the rods.

Nautilus availability in the 8wts etc is limited....Mid to end March. I go mid March.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:23 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

In my experience if Nautilus gives you a date of availability, multiply it by 2 at least...

Doubt you will find a fly shop around that disagrees with that above statement either...

Honestly, any way you go with all the major manufacturers is gonna give you a good reel, comes down to personal preference more than anything!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:52 PM

Mrtrout will become famous soon enoughMrtrout will become famous soon enough

All good reels Gerard, the Hatch always seem a tad heavy in the hand to me.
I reckon Nautilus take some beating though if you can locate one.
S.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:42 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Both fine reels with different personalities and design concepts. Always good to have an Abel as it's user maintainable, draw-bar design is a form of insurance and I am not sure I wouldn't go with the S11N for the ten weight. I fish a Hatch 7+ on my Scott S4s #8 and I consider it, along with the Nautilus the top picks among "sealed" drag reels. One caveat on the 7+ is backing capacity; I like 200 yds. of #30, not for strength but for mangrove abrasion protection in the Bahamas, and the Hatch will only take #20. The solution, which I recommend to you, is to buy the Hatch with the mid-arbor spool option. It dramatically improves backing capacity and has no impact on aspect ratio once loaded. On my current favorite bonefish rod, Loomis NRX #8, I mounted the Nautilus NV 10/11 with the "Giga 8" spool option, the opposite of what I have done with the Hatch. I have had no reliability issues with any of these reels and they are all beautifully crafted and delightful to fish.

Do I presume correctly that you are located in Britain? Have you considered Hardy's Fortuna X? Though built in Korea, it is a fine piece of work with a very stout drag and much better than Orvis's Chinese Mirage.
leithel likes this.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Both fine reels with different personalities and design concepts. Always good to have an Abel as it's user maintainable, draw-bar design is a form of insurance and I am not sure I wouldn't go with the S11N for the ten weight. I fish a Hatch 7+ on my Scott S4s #8 and I consider it, along with the Nautilus the top picks among "sealed" drag reels. One caveat on the 7+ is backing capacity; I like 200 yds. of #30, not for strength but for mangrove abrasion protection in the Bahamas, and the Hatch will only take #20. The solution, which I recommend to you, is to buy the Hatch with the mid-arbor spool option. It dramatically improves backing capacity and has no impact on aspect ratio once loaded. On my current favorite bonefish rod, Loomis NRX #8, I mounted the Nautilus NV 10/11 with the "Giga 8" spool option, the opposite of what I have done with the Hatch. I have had no reliability issues with any of these reels and they are all beautifully crafted and delightful to fish.

Do I presume correctly that you are located in Britain? Have you considered Hardy's Fortuna X? Though built in Korea, it is a fine piece of work with a very stout drag and much better than Orvis's Chinese Mirage.
S&S
Many thanks. I was thinking of 30lb gel-spun as backing so thought I would get 200yds or so on the Hatch.
Yes in the UK. The Mirages come out of Korea, not China (clear label on the one I handled yesterday) and a suggestion has been made is it is the same factory which produces Hardy & Sage. it's not uncommon certainly in the outdoor industry Rucksacks manufactured for Arc'teryx, North Face etc which come out Vietnam are all from the same factory....it is all they make though.
Consequently given the finish on the Orvis (in comparison to the US made reels...play in the spool when mounted) I discounted the Hardy and the Sage 6000/8000.

I'll give it more thought.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:59 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

Well, I guess there are worse problems to have.
I have two Hatch reels and am very happy with them. However, I know Abel makes excellent products (I have an Abel knife and pliers). I doubt you could go wrong with either. It's like trying to decide between a Nikon and an Canon camera.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:52 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Helios is a very light rod. The Abel or Hatch may be too heavy to balance it well. Hardy Ultralite DD or TFO BVK might be worth a look, if you don't like the Orvis offerings.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:13 PM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about

Need I say more? Their Anodizing is awesome for Salt water
superflygirl and msataloff like this.