The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2008, 04:31 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Lamson Reels

there were times when a die cast hardy was a geat trout reel and 14 series of old P also and that's what I used for my first fly reel; for me as all posters know...I do not buy fly reels made by 10 year old girls..essentially in servitude...Orvis or any other...it is remarkable that orvis still sells high end cane and you put a cheap chinese on it..cause they ain't got no others...but then tonkin does come from china
Old 01-17-2008, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Frank,
I read your post a couple times and in noway can it be construed to be attacking Steelie, if he sees it that way, then that's his problem.

I have a hard time understanding his attitude toward Lamson, dang dude get a hold of yourself.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-17-2008, 08:06 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=steely;18980)
If you want a fully machined reel look at the Orvis Barstock reel at $89. Not only is it fully machined, not only is it bar stock, but it comes with backing and a fly line already on the reel!
[url]http://www.orvis.com/intro.asp?subject=111[/url]

Plus, after a year, if you decide that the reel does not meet your expectations, send it back to Orvis with your receipt and they will issue you a full refund!

I am going to say it again....people that do this are the reason the prices are going up!

And as mention....CHINA? or USA! Big difference in every which way you look at it.
I have noticed that the Chinese Orvis are supporting a bigger reel foot, maybe not a big deal to you, but I have custom rods that I have to sand the foot down to fit. Plus I am noticing more Plastic in the China LA than in the English
I mean if you are going to buy a Winston, Sage , Loomis, even Orvis upper end rod that are LIGHT then this reel isn't a bad thing.
It IS machined.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:01 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by steely View Post
Of course the konic is a superior brake job, and if I have to fight a marlin or a mako shark I will use it. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A SIMPLE GEAR BRAKE when it comes to trout/steelhead. I have caught steelhead up to 10 pounds, I somewhat know (I cant say I fully know, it is not like I am in alaska catching 30 pound steelhead). I have so far advocated 2 different $89 reels against the Konic, and you have come up with ludicruous justifications, almost like you have to justify it, that you have a secret double identity as a fly shop employee who who only sells Lamson.
Yes, I'd pay $30 more for a Konic. Your $89 ***** Creek 7 oz. 4-6w monster is make in China. For $30 more, I'll buy one made in the USA. Yea, I'll get one that has a drag will stop a semi in it's tracks smoothly and it's also 3 oz lighter. That a good enough ludicous justification for ya?
Oh, and how ethical is it to use a reel for a year, send it back and get a full refund. That's pretty low down.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Joni and Mojo,
I'm with you guys on keeping it as "American" as we can.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-17-2008, 10:46 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I got me a 3wt ***** creek combo. but didn't know it was made in china. didn't state that anywhere. but then what again isn't made in china! maybe I am gonna get lead poisoning now! man this plus split shots and lwome ead wire wrapped flies!! AHHHH!!!!! this sux! I just got the combo cause the owner of the forum sells um and I was showing them some love. hard to find usa made products nowadays. I don't catch monsters and don't got to cast more than 40 or 50 feet so cheap rod combos do me good. but trust me if I could afford a nice rod I would get me one but can't just pay 500 bux for the rod. like in the orvis catalog I got the other day the helio whatnot. 755 bux for a rod. . .anyways GO USA!!! haha. what brands are usa made? wish good brand rods were cheaper. now thats ludicrous

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:20 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Last I heard SAGE Launch is USA and a great price. So is the Orvis Clearwater
Old 01-17-2008, 11:53 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

will keep that in mind for the next rod and reel I get. but I have a 8wt,5/6 wt and 3 wt now. what is there to get? any better ones?

Old 01-18-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
will keep that in mind for the next rod and reel I get. but I have a 8wt,5/6 wt and 3 wt now. what is there to get? any better ones?
One can never have too many 4wts...LOL
It does sound like you need not be in any hurry, You do have your bases covered. Unless you get hooked on Glass or Bamboo, then you have to start all over he, he, he.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:01 AM

well income tax time is coming around lol.