The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Lamson Reels

Hi GeorgeMcFly,

You have a good selections of rod weights. Instead of thinking about another line weight I would be thinking about upgrading my equipment. Maybe a better reel for one of the rods. Or how about upgrading your 5/6 to a better rod. I don't know if your 5/6 is any good or not, just trying to give you some Ideas. I know you use your 8 for Steelhead so how about a dandy reel for Steelhead. I would rather have one really good rod and reel rather than several so so outfits.

George you have really came a long way with your fly fishing since you first starting posting. I think you are right on track and proud that NAFFF has helped you some along the way.

Frank
Old 01-18-2008, 11:34 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

thanks frank. I will take your advice. the 5/6 isn't that bad of rod but the click pawl drag isn't great its more like palming but it gets the job done. maybe I can get a nice 6 wt reel with adjustable drag?. (thats the line wt. on the rod). or maybe a better fly line? maybe get me some more fly materials as I have learned ya never have enough! oh well keep ya posted. I will keep my eye out for deals

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:18 AM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
I got me a 3wt ***** creek combo. but didn't know it was made in china. didn't state that anywhere. but then what again isn't made in china! maybe I am gonna get lead poisoning now! man this plus split shots and lwome ead wire wrapped flies!! AHHHH!!!!! this sux! I just got the combo cause the owner of the forum sells um and I was showing them some love. hard to find usa made products nowadays. I don't catch monsters and don't got to cast more than 40 or 50 feet so cheap rod combos do me good. but trust me if I could afford a nice rod I would get me one but can't just pay 500 bux for the rod. like in the orvis catalog I got the other day the helio whatnot. 755 bux for a rod. . .anyways GO USA!!! haha. what brands are usa made? wish good brand rods were cheaper. now thats ludicrous
Heavy G:

my suggestion roll your own or check out used...there are always model changes in the high end lines e.g. winston, sage, loomis, scott and there are those who want the latest and rid themselves of the older models
Old 01-22-2008, 07:59 AM

Reactor has a spectacular aura aboutReactor has a spectacular aura about

An interesting thread, seeing for the past month I have been looking at purchasing a new reel for my son. I too came up with two reels that I was comparing and, funny enough, it was the Orvis BBS and the Lamson Konic. I have a Lamson Velocity and it's sweet. The drag is fantastic and the fit and finish are excellent. I purchased an Orvis rod that I gave to my son for Christmas and started trying to match it up with an Orvis reel. I kept looking at reels and started to compare the BBS to others. I could not get Lamson out of my head because of my experience with my own reel. With the Lamson, I could not justify the money for a kid that may drop it on the rocks. Then I about a month ago I found out that Lamson came up with the Konic. It's marketed as a fully machined reel. That is, it's machined from a casting. Todays castings compete with forgings for strength so it's what you do after the part that is cast is what is important. IF Lamson has machined the Konic to the same tolerances of its other reels then the extra money is worth it. Also, as the added bonus you get a top quality drag.
I think we need to put things in perspective as far as cost. $130 in todays economy doesn't buy you much. A fishing reel can last a lifetime.