The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2008, 12:12 AM

steely is on a distinguished road
Default Lamson Reels

The Lamson Konic reel is a ripoff for a trout reel. A die cast reel for trout for $130?

If you want a fully machined reel look at the Orvis Barstock reel at $89. Not only is it fully machined, not only is it bar stock, but it comes with backing and a fly line already on the reel!
http://www.orvis.com/intro.asp?subject=111

Plus, after a year, if you decide that the reel does not meet your expectations, send it back to Orvis with your receipt and they will issue you a full refund!

http://www.orvis.com/intro.asp?subject=111

The Orvis 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
For over 150 years we have offered the strongest return policy in the business. We will refund your money on any purchase that isn't 100% satisfactory -- any time, for any reason. It's that simple.

Why does Lamson charge %50 more for a die cast reel than a bar stock reel (that comes with backing AND A FLY LINE!?? THEIR NAME!! They would almost sell you a plastic bag with poop in it if it had their brand logo on it! That is how full of themselves they are! "we are lamson, we can sell a fly fisherman a bag of poop as long as it has our brand logo on it"!! Neener Neener Neener!

So we have a die cast reel for $130 for trout versus a machined barstock reel with backing and with a fly line for $89.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:22 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default Re: Lamson Reels

man I paid 20 bux for my first whole outfit!!! a 5/6 wt martin complete combo from troutlet.com. they got cheap outfits from 14 bux for a caddis creek combo to 100 for some others. but cmon 14 bux for a 5/6 rod and reel and flies and leader line and backing! thats a deal in itself! no matter if it lasts one season! . the one I got is a 8' 6'' rod and reel with wf line ,leader and backing and 6 flys plus a book on how to tie basic knots.! cheap reel with just click drag but who cares! I caught lots of stuff (biggest was a catfish like 15 inches or so) and it lasted a year so far and still works!. I am always out for a deal! plus I got it cause I wanted to see if I liked the sport and not pay alot.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Steely you on Orvis' payroll now?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

We need to look at all aspects of we are going to compare the Konic to the Battenkill. The first and most obvious difference is the Konic is a large arbor reel and the Battenkill is a small arbor. The $89 Battenkill is a 1-3 size reel and the Konic in this size is $119. So the price difference is $30 and that is not 50% more. The Battenkill is 1.8ozs lighter than the Konic in the same size. The Konic is high pressure injected cast reel that is quite a bit different than a simple injected cast reel. The Battenkill has a simple gear brake and the Konic has a state of the art tapered cone draw bar drag. The 1-3 Battenkill would be a very good choice for a Bamboo rod or small stream fishing. If I was buying a reel for a 5/6 weight rod I would go with the Konic with its large arbor design and the superior brake. The Battenkill reel is made overseas and The Konic is probably made in the US. I don't know which reel is better built.

Frank
Old 01-17-2008, 12:17 PM

steely is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi to all,

We need to look at all aspects of we are going to compare the Konic to the Battenkill. The first and most obvious difference is the Konic is a large arbor reel and the Battenkill is a small arbor. The $89 Battenkill is a 1-3 size reel and the Konic in this size is $119. So the price difference is $30 and that is not 50% more. The Battenkill is 1.8ozs lighter than the Konic in the same size. The Konic is high pressure injected cast reel that is quite a bit different than a simple injected cast reel. The Battenkill has a simple gear brake and the Konic has a state of the art tapered cone draw bar drag. The 1-3 Battenkill would be a very good choice for a Bamboo rod or small stream fishing. If I was buying a reel for a 5/6 weight rod I would go with the Konic with its large arbor design and the superior brake. The Battenkill reel is made overseas and The Konic is probably made in the US. I don't know which reel is better built.

Frank
Of course the konic is a superior brake job, and if I have to fight a marlin or a mako shark I will use it. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A SIMPLE GEAR BRAKE when it comes to trout/steelhead. I have caught steelhead up to 10 pounds, I somewhat know (I cant say I fully know, it is not like I am in alaska catching 30 pound steelhead). I have so far advocated 2 different $89 reels against the Konic, and you have come up with ludicruous justifications, almost like you have to justify it, that you have a secret double identity as a fly shop employee who who only sells Lamson.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:32 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

its ludicrous Frank! I tell ya! just ludicrous! I never tried either or but to me what you point out does make it sound alot better than the battenkill in certain aspects. guess its just your own choice to make on which one you prefer better. like I said before. I am cheap and even so I am happy with my 20 dollar combo. (you wanna see a simple gear brake! look at this click pawl drag. lol) but even tho its just a cheap combo. its still gotten the job done over and over. by all means its no sage or tfo but I say if it works and I am happy with the product then its all good to me. so when it all comes down to it. just use your own preference on what suits you best.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by steely View Post
Of course the konic is a superior brake job, and if I have to fight a marlin or a mako shark I will use it. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A SIMPLE GEAR BRAKE when it comes to trout/steelhead. I have caught steelhead up to 10 pounds, I somewhat know (I cant say I fully know, it is not like I am in alaska catching 30 pound steelhead). I have so far advocated 2 different $89 reels against the Konic, and you have come up with ludicruous justifications, almost like you have to justify it, that you have a secret double identity as a fly shop employee who who only sells Lamson.
Click the image to open in full size.

Sorry, I seem to have run out of polite. Does Orvis sell that too?

Frank's not the one being ludicrous.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

McFly, you have it figured out. It is all about personal preference and has little to do with where it is made or how well it is made. Each person has to determined what is appropriate for their applications.

Steely, I was afraid when I answered this post that you might think I was picking on you. Really I am not and I am sorry that it appears so. My two post were intended to be informative and factual. I am not a fan of the Lampson reels that use the "O" ring to hold the spool to the frame and have said so several times. Your price comparison of a size 1/3 Battenkill to a 5/6 Konic was not a fair comparison.

Frank
Old 01-17-2008, 01:47 PM

I trust frank and bigcliffs word. if they say something like a rod or reel is good or a certain fly works or a presentation is good. I take there advice and put it in my mental toolbox. another thing is everyone on here gets along also. just hope it stays that way. or else.. this happens then this. and then eventually this.
lol gotta love smileys.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:04 PM

headhunter is on a distinguished road

Made in the usa versus made abroad.
That tacks on a couple of bucks.

Orvis is not the enemy here nor is Lamson. Too each their own.

I would really like an abel reel, built in the usa, beautiful reel, but I am not paying that much money. Just not for me.

Buy the best quality reel you can afford and stomach.

You buy junk...you get junk.

Thoreau