The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 11:25 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abel Creek vs Abel Super

Don't hold me to it, but Abel's Deep Green is what I've read is the closest match to the Green Stick you'll find other than a Winston Perfect. Depending on your hardware, Platinum looks pretty killer with the Nickel reel seats too.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:15 AM

650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about

I have an Abel Creek 1 and 2 both w/ standard spools. The 1 is a perfect fit for a 4 WT. The wind and pay tension are adjustable by turning the two hexagon fixtures that support each side of the spring. Simple and effective system. Also love the narrow spool width.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:15 PM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

I too own both and I have fished the area you're targeting. If you skilled at palming the reel or using fingers against the line to apply drag, the Creek is a winner for its classic looks. Knowing the size of fish that you may encounter in these tailwaters, I'd say the Super series (or Big Game, as standard arbor versions used to be called) may be the way to go. I have a BG .5 (point five) and a #1 which I would use down there. The .5 could be considered a four weight reel, but the #1 if likely too large for your rod. I also have a Super 2 with a LA spool that I like a lot, but it doesn't hold much backing.

Last edited by glcaddis; 02-24-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:10 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

As some have already said, both are great reels. However I side more with the Super. I have a S2 on a 3wt and it's hard to beat. Again as some have said there are options out there for less money that will work very well.

I have Ross, Lamson, Hardy so without trying to throw to much in the mix go with Abel if you have the $'s.
Craig