The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 07:14 PM

8snake is on a distinguished road
Default Abel Creek vs Abel Super

I'm new to the forum and appreciate the vast amount of information that's being shared here. As a result of some reading, I have been looking at Abel reels and want to get opinions about two different models for my fishing needs.

I fish rivers in the Midwest, like the White in Arkansas or Taneycomo in Missouri, for trout. It seems that the Super series is being discounted right now to put the price on par with the Creek. That's really a secondary factor, but thought I'd mention it. My question really pertains to the pros and cons of the cork drag in the Super compared with the click and pawl drag of the Creek for my applications.

I would appreciate any insights.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:48 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Abel Creek vs Abel Super

Really for the area you fish which is where I also fish, the reel is going to be mainly for looks and to of course hold your line. Click and Paws are nice, I always like the sound of a nice one, but I will say I probably only have one reel that is c&p the rest are disc drag. The Super is a great reel and amazingly sexy. I was going to pick me one up this week, but instead went and bought a Hardy DD haha so the Abel will have to wait. Basically though to answer your question I'd say go with what one makes you smile more, for pros and cons, I am not truly sure, typically disc drags have more adjustments and I believe are sealed a little better, but I clean my reels after every trip.

Also what area do you live in? I have been going down to Bennett Springs for C&R season, but will be going down to the White in the Spring and Summer.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:06 AM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

It depends on the weight of the rod you are putting it on, if your rod is heavy enough and the prices are comparable I would definitely go for the super, its a nice reel.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear 007 View Post
It depends on the weight of the rod you are putting it on, if your rod is heavy enough and the prices are comparable I would definitely go for the super, its a nice reel.
The rod is a 10' 4wt.

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuie675 View Post
Also what area do you live in? I have been going down to Bennett Springs for C&R season, but will be going down to the White in the Spring and Summer.
I live in Southwest Missouri. I'll be heading to the White in early March for an annual trip with some friends that's always a good time.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:35 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

The Abel Super series is a draw bar cork drag, which is arguably one of the finest drag mechanisms every made. Very simple design and quite easy to maintain. The reels are excellent, high quality pieces of equipment. I'm a huge fan of them and have a number in my quiver.

The Creek series is no less beautiful and is a classic click and pawl design. I've not fished one and do not own one but I've fished click and pawl reels for trout and they get the job done.

My advice is to review the web for click and pawl vs. drag rather than go into the differences here. That's the key to your question IMO. Either type of reel will perform for you with your targeted quarry.

Cheers,
Mike.
mcnerney, jaybo41 and leithel like this.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8snake View Post
The rod is a 10' 4wt.

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

I live in Southwest Missouri. I'll be heading to the White in early March for an annual trip with some friends that's always a good time.
Ah ok, I have a few friends down in Springfield and then family down by Joplin and in Nevada. I sadly wont be doing any fishing in March since I will be out of state for business and then get to go see my sister.

If you have a local fly shop which down in that area you should have a few, I'd go see if any of them carry Abel on hand and typically if they do, they will have the super series on hand, or at least in my experience they typically do. Then you can see if you like it, may even take your rod and see if they will let you put it on there to see how it feels.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:24 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Not surprised to see Chi chime in on this, he is well versed with Abel reels and gave solid advice as I'd expect him to.

Maybe one question to ask yourself is have you or any of your buddies ever been out on the waters you intend to use this reel on and had to put a fish on the reel to land it? If so and you would be more comfortable having a drag, the Super Series might be a the better option for you.

Landing big fish is very much do-able on a click & pawl too though. I've landed several nice size lake run steelhead on one this past year--my first year fishing for them with click & pawl. Lots of folks like old click & pawls for sea run steelhead that can be notoriously more "hot" than some of the fish I'm likely to tangle with.

Maintenance wise, both would require about the same. Give them some grease and oil and you're golden. The cork drag on the Super Series does require a coating of Neatsfoot Oil, where as the click & pawl would just be grease and reel oil. I don't own an Abel click & pawl, but do have a Super 4. Absolutely beautiful reel.

The good news is you really can't go wrong with either choice, Abel makes amazing products.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:03 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

BOTH!!!

In all seriousness, it's totally personal preference, either reel will get the job done just fine, guys land steelhead & Salmon over 20 pounds on C&P reels with no issues so obviously stream Trout can be as well...
leithel likes this.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:39 PM

Are you only looking at Abel or are you willing to look else where. Nautilus, Hardy, Sage, etc.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:57 AM

I'm not hung up on Abel, Stuie. I find the Abel reels to be beautiful and the green color matches up very nicely with the Winston rod that I have, but other options are certainly on the table as well.

Thank you, everyone, for your input thus far.