The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   Abel Switch reel drag system? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/309316-abel-switch-reel-drag-system.html)

petee 01-29-2013 01:42 AM

Abel Switch reel drag system?

Ok, I'm confused. According to Abel's web site their Switch reel is a double pawl click and drag, but when you do a comparison between the Classic, Switch and Spey they all reference "Cork Disc". All the reviews talk about the double pawls. Now granted I am not a Rocket Buldin Fellar, but if I remember correctly there isn't a cork disc in a pawl drag.

Does anybody know what the 2013 model's drag system is? Not that it matters, I cut my teeth on the sweet sound of reel that talks when you use it. That and has anybody had the chance to play with one? Any thoughts?

I have an e-mail into them,but as usual I am too impatient to wait.

Thanks,
Pete

Guest1 01-29-2013 02:00 AM

Re: Abel Switch reel drag system?

Try calling them. I honestly don't know. Never owned an Abel. :confused:

chi flyfisher 01-29-2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petee (Post 521131)

I have an e-mail into them,but as usual I am too impatient to wait.

Thanks,
Pete

Pete - as DD mentioned, give them a call. They always answer the phone and I always get an answer to my questions when I call them.

Cheers,
Mike.

kwb 01-29-2013 10:43 AM

It's a typo...

There is no cork in the C&P system on those reels, well unless they changed them in the past couple months, but I doubt it...

SWEET reels!

jaybo41 01-29-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwb (Post 521217)
It's a typo...

There is no cork in the C&P system on those reels, well unless they changed them in the past couple months, but I doubt it...

SWEET reels!

That's what I thought too. I thought I had once seen a diagram of the inside of the reel showing click and pawls but the website has changed and now I can't find it.

petee 01-29-2013 04:33 PM

Typo it what I am thinking also. They and all the reviews talk about the pawls, but them you use the side by side comparisons feature on their site bam... there is the "Cork Disc" reference for all three. Might just be nobody is minding the store for the specs. They also have the "Switch" model as being the biggest, heaviest, and taking the heavier line weights.

Thanks,
Pete

650flyguy 02-01-2013 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petee (Post 521349)
Typo it what I am thinking also.

I also noticed that on the website. Last week I was at the California Fly Shop and checkout the Classic, Switch & Spey, they are all click and pawl. The system is very similar to the Hardy JLH but seriously beefed up - the springs and pawls are meant to do work. Love the solid spooled versions, I am saving up for one.

steel will 02-27-2013 10:37 PM

It's definitely a typo. I have the Switch and the Spey models and they're true click-and-pawl reels. No disk drag there.