The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 05:40 PM
deathwish

Default okuma helios 89 fly reel

are these any good? or would you go with lamson konik 3.5??? Trying to keep it at 150 or less for 8wt rod for atlantic salmon.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:25 PM

mi_trouter is on a distinguished road
Default Re: okuma helios 89 fly reel

Personally, I'd go with the Helios over the Konic. I think that the Helios has a better "fit & finish". Also seems a sturdier built reel. (Own or have owned both). I am a fan of Waterworks Lamson products, but not the Konic.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:13 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

If you prefer the Helios, just make sure it fits on your reel seat. I'm not familiar with the Helios, but the reel foot on some other Okuma reels is a little thicker than most.

I don't have the Konic 3.5, but I do have some Lamson Litespeed 3.5's and Velocities in other sizes. I like them, but all my Lamsons have a particularly wide spool. When I fish the Litespeed 3.5 for salmon I have to remember to watch how the line is settling back onto the spool during the retrieve, or it can build up unevenly and bind against the frame. If you're comparing the features of the Konic and Helios, and the overall spool capacity is similar, and you want to utilize the full backing capacity, one thing to consider is that a narrower spool will make it easier to reel in line without the spool binding up right at the end of your retrieve.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:36 PM
deathwish

Your right bought helios reel 89 and will not fit bvk I bought back to store I guess
Old 02-19-2013, 08:51 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

Did you get it from the boys at fredericton outfitters? I find they will treat you really well. You may want to look at the Pfluger reel they have as well. I use an Orivs Clearwater for my salmon reel and it is a dream of a reel.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover