The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   Waterworks-Lamson Speedster Reel (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/309618-waterworks-lamson-speedster-reel.html)

troutnut4 01-31-2013 05:39 PM

Waterworks-Lamson Speedster Reel

With all the experience out there, I thought that I might find one or more guys that have an opinion on the new (to me), Lamson Speedster. Has anyone used one and are there any defects or issues with it. Would like to hear your thoughts.

sweetandsalt 02-01-2013 12:02 PM

Re: Waterworks-Lamson Speedster Reel

I had hopped to see Speedster at Somerset but regrettably Waterworks did not attend the Show. Clearly though, they have been studying the increasingly popular Hardy Ultralite DD's superior proportions which is still narrower and with a much better drag design (sealed stacked multi-disc vs. two nestled cones with an exposed one-way bearing). I was a little surprised how many of the new large arbor, very lightweight reels I examined had quite a bit of flex in their assembly. Light is good, flex is not.

fly505 02-06-2013 01:53 PM

I too very much would like to hear anyone's experience with these reels. I have a Guru 2 for a 5wt and balances my rod very well, drag is overkill for fish i target it with. I've handled the Speedster at a local shop, man it has a very large arbor...beautiful reel. I talked to a rep for Lamson and she said that they step up the drag to the "intermediate" size in the 4 like the Velocity and Litspeed. Lookin at the 3.5 for a future 9wt :)

delopez 02-06-2013 02:06 PM

I have a speedster on my 5 weight B2t.

My first day on the water with my 5 weight, I landed a 5 pound rainbow on a hopper-dropper-dropper rig, teamed with a SA Trout Stalker line, and a furled leader. First of all, on a Winston, that reel looks amazing... Silverish-gray in color, beautiful design, etc. It perfomed wonderfully. When I set the hook on the rainbow, the trout didn't do much. It gave me time to reel my loose line up. That took no time at all. The bow livened up in no time and actually started taking drag. First trout that I've had do that. I usually keep my drag about at about a quarter of its potential. The bow started taking that drag with no problem. Like all lamson drag systems, it sung! All I have to say about this is that I love it and totally think that it's worth the money...

Next, any questions? I will answer. :)

troutnut4 02-06-2013 02:59 PM

I enjoyed you comments. :thumbsup:I just picked up a Speedster 1.5 for my #4 Zenith and it looks great and feels balanced on the rod. I had intended to use it on my #3 ZXL as well but it is a tad heavy. I cannot wait to get some time on the water with this combo. I hope that I am impressed with the reel as much as you were.:D

delopez 02-06-2013 03:02 PM

Waterworks-Lamson Speedster Reel

When I bought this reel, I had a choice between this and the force sla. I chose this reel because it saved money. I didn't choose wrong. It's a fantastic compromise.

troutnut4 02-06-2013 03:21 PM

:cool: Isn't that funny, I was at the exact point of indecision when I purchased the Speedster. I will get the UL Force at another time. I wanted an extra spool so the Speedster was the best move. Waterworks - Lamson reels are an addiction with me, as are the Sage and Hardy rods.:D