The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 02:40 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Orvis CFO III no line guard?

Chi, Here is a CFO IV (my favorite size) circa. 1982. The line guard is removed, as is a pawl with a broken leaf spring, clearly showing the "T" pillar with two screw holes to mount the nickle silver line guard on. This sample is easily restoreable and the next time (whenever that may be) that I have an opportunity to drive near Manchester, VT, I am going to bring it in for re-fitting. Until then it will languish in my parts bin but I have other CFO's and, except for small stream fishing, I have grown to prefer modern reels over these once dearly beloved classics.

While I am on the subject, one more thing; I often here anglers refer to these as "click and pawl" reels. That is not quite right...they are "spring and pawl" reels that generate a "click" as a function of their "line over-run" check. They DO NOT have a "drag", they have a "check".

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by sweetandsalt; 02-11-2013 at 03:03 PM.