The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   Abel Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/310838-abel-reels.html)

troutnut4 02-14-2013 01:47 PM

Abel Reels
 
I have been looking at Abel reels with the intent in buying one of their trout reels for my ZXL 376-4. I passed up a discontinued #0 on e-bay this week.:( I notice that the new reels appear to have a plastic drag knob, whereas the discontinued one appeared to be a knurled metal which I liked. Am I right in thinking that they are now plastic? The #0 would probably have been a little heavy for the rod. Beautiful reel though and probably worth the coin, I'm guessing.:thumbsup:

kwb 02-14-2013 02:01 PM

Re: Abel Reels
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by troutnut4 (Post 526798)
I have been looking at Abel reels with the intent in buying one of their trout reels for my ZXL 376-4. I passed up a discontinued #0 on e-bay this week.:( I notice that the new reels appear to have a plastic drag knob, whereas the discontinued one appeared to be a knurled metal which I liked. Am I right in thinking that they are now plastic? The #0 would probably have been a little heavy for the rod. Beautiful reel though and probably worth the coin, I'm guessing.:thumbsup:

No Abel reels utilize a plastic drag knob...

jaybo41 02-14-2013 03:43 PM

Re: Abel Reels
 
:eek: What kwb said. No plastic reel handles on an Abel. They're either made from wood or from machined aluminum. Unless of course someone has made a modification to it.

By the way, the #0 is one sweet little reel. Chi has one that you can see here:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...thread-70.html

There certainly are lighter reels on the market but those old big game trout sized reels are beautiful. Hard to go wrong with an Abel.

troutnut4 02-14-2013 08:53 PM

Re: Abel Reels
 
That is one beautiful setup.:thumbsup: I been looking for a 389-3 for awhile now and that little Able reel is right up there at the top of my list with the Sage rod.

coug 02-14-2013 09:50 PM

Re: Abel Reels
 
I have five abels and none have any plastic. Might have to make it six after seeing Jaybo's link. I want my next build to be a 3wt and those little abels would look nice!

troutnut4 02-15-2013 07:49 AM

Re: Abel Reels
 
jaybo41, I checked out the link and love the looks of that reel. That particular reel (pt.5 ?) appears to be discontinued. The Abel site shows a Super Series 3N large arbor and also the "Classic". Do you know what the specs were on the pt.5?

chi flyfisher 02-15-2013 08:11 AM

Re: Abel Reels
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by troutnut4 (Post 527032)
jaybo41, I checked out the link and love the looks of that reel. That particular reel (pt.5 ?) appears to be discontinued. The Abel site shows a Super Series 3N large arbor and also the "Classic". Do you know what the specs were on the pt.5?

TN - if you go to the Abel website and do a search you will find the specs for the pt.5. To me, the pt.5 is too much reel for that rod. It's rated for a 5/6 but I use mine on 4 wt.s and it's fine.

For the rod you have, and if you want an Abel at a "discount" I would suggest a fully ported Abel Super 2. Don't get me wrong, that Big Game "0" I have is awesome and a fine pairing to any small line weight rod. But it's heavy. And it's too heavy for your shorter light weight 3 wt. rod IMO. An even better choice, albeit more expensive, is the Abel Super 3N. I like it more than the Super 2 because it's narrower and taller.

If drag is not important to you on a reel, and this is a personal preference, look hard at the creek/trout models. They're cheaper, they're well built, and they're beautiful. If I was buying an Abel for a short 3 wt. I would look long and hard here. I put my Abel 0 on a short Sage 373 SLT and it was way too heavy to be comfortable for me - and I prefer a heavier reel.

As a side note, gentlemen, there is a line of Abel reels that incorporate a plastic reel handle. It's the Abel Extreme - a lower cost alternative to the original Abel Big Game Series. I think they're ugly.

Cheers,
Mike

Gerard 02-15-2013 08:26 AM

Re: Abel Reels
 
Abel reel spec are HERE Scroll down for older reels.

I've just bought a Super 7 fro my 8wt bonefish rod. My first ever Abel....I feel I've got have at least one in my arsenal as their reputation is legendary.

I went for the 7 b/c It will take the backing and 8wt line, but is lighter and more compact which I think is important in balancing a rod.

coug 02-15-2013 08:43 AM

Re: Abel Reels
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerard (Post 527042)
Abel reel spec are HERE Scroll down for older reels.

I've just bought a Super 7 fro my 8wt bonefish rod. My first ever Abel....I feel I've got have at least one in my arsenal as their reputation is legendary.

I went for the 7 b/c It will take the backing and 8wt line, but is lighter and more compact which I think is important in balancing a rod.


I have a super 7 that I used on an 8wt and that was my steelhead setup. It was a very good match. I bought the flex kit with an extra spool so I could have a floater and a sink. Sold the rod when I switched to spey a few years ago, but kept the Abel. Going to try it on a 7wt I am building now. I think you will enjoy the reel!

troutnut4 02-15-2013 09:22 AM

Re: Abel Reels
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chi flyfisher (Post 527038)
TN - if you go to the Abel website and do a search you will find the specs for the pt.5. To me, the pt.5 is too much reel for that rod. It's rated for a 5/6 but I use mine on 4 wt.s and it's fine.

For the rod you have, and if you want an Abel at a "discount" I would suggest a fully ported Abel Super 2. Don't get me wrong, that Big Game "0" I have is awesome and a fine pairing to any small line weight rod. But it's heavy. And it's too heavy for your shorter light weight 3 wt. rod IMO. An even better choice, albeit more expensive, is the Abel Super 3N. I like it more than the Super 2 because it's narrower and taller.

If drag is not important to you on a reel, and this is a personal preference, look hard at the creek/trout models. They're cheaper, they're well built, and they're beautiful. If I was buying an Abel for a short 3 wt. I would look long and hard here. I put my Abel 0 on a short Sage 373 SLT and it was way too heavy to be comfortable for me - and I prefer a heavier reel.

As a side note, gentlemen, there is a line of Abel reels that incorporate a plastic reel handle. It's the Abel Extreme - a lower cost alternative to the original Abel Big Game Series. I think they're ugly.

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks Chi, I thought that I saw one of Abel's reel with a drag knob that appeared to have been made of plastic. Thought maybe I was wrong.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.