The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 12:47 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all
Default Abel Reels

I have been looking at Abel reels with the intent in buying one of their trout reels for my ZXL 376-4. I passed up a discontinued #0 on e-bay this week. I notice that the new reels appear to have a plastic drag knob, whereas the discontinued one appeared to be a knurled metal which I liked. Am I right in thinking that they are now plastic? The #0 would probably have been a little heavy for the rod. Beautiful reel though and probably worth the coin, I'm guessing.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:01 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all
Default Re: Abel Reels

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
I have been looking at Abel reels with the intent in buying one of their trout reels for my ZXL 376-4. I passed up a discontinued #0 on e-bay this week. I notice that the new reels appear to have a plastic drag knob, whereas the discontinued one appeared to be a knurled metal which I liked. Am I right in thinking that they are now plastic? The #0 would probably have been a little heavy for the rod. Beautiful reel though and probably worth the coin, I'm guessing.
No Abel reels utilize a plastic drag knob...
Old 02-14-2013, 02:43 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

What kwb said. No plastic reel handles on an Abel. They're either made from wood or from machined aluminum. Unless of course someone has made a modification to it.

By the way, the #0 is one sweet little reel. Chi has one that you can see here:

Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

There certainly are lighter reels on the market but those old big game trout sized reels are beautiful. Hard to go wrong with an Abel.
wannafish likes this.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:53 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

That is one beautiful setup. I been looking for a 389-3 for awhile now and that little Able reel is right up there at the top of my list with the Sage rod.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:50 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

I have five abels and none have any plastic. Might have to make it six after seeing Jaybo's link. I want my next build to be a 3wt and those little abels would look nice!
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:49 AM

jaybo41, I checked out the link and love the looks of that reel. That particular reel (pt.5 ?) appears to be discontinued. The Abel site shows a Super Series 3N large arbor and also the "Classic". Do you know what the specs were on the pt.5?
Old 02-15-2013, 07:11 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
jaybo41, I checked out the link and love the looks of that reel. That particular reel (pt.5 ?) appears to be discontinued. The Abel site shows a Super Series 3N large arbor and also the "Classic". Do you know what the specs were on the pt.5?
TN - if you go to the Abel website and do a search you will find the specs for the pt.5. To me, the pt.5 is too much reel for that rod. It's rated for a 5/6 but I use mine on 4 wt.s and it's fine.

For the rod you have, and if you want an Abel at a "discount" I would suggest a fully ported Abel Super 2. Don't get me wrong, that Big Game "0" I have is awesome and a fine pairing to any small line weight rod. But it's heavy. And it's too heavy for your shorter light weight 3 wt. rod IMO. An even better choice, albeit more expensive, is the Abel Super 3N. I like it more than the Super 2 because it's narrower and taller.

If drag is not important to you on a reel, and this is a personal preference, look hard at the creek/trout models. They're cheaper, they're well built, and they're beautiful. If I was buying an Abel for a short 3 wt. I would look long and hard here. I put my Abel 0 on a short Sage 373 SLT and it was way too heavy to be comfortable for me - and I prefer a heavier reel.

As a side note, gentlemen, there is a line of Abel reels that incorporate a plastic reel handle. It's the Abel Extreme - a lower cost alternative to the original Abel Big Game Series. I think they're ugly.

Cheers,
Mike
trout trekker and troutnut4 like this.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:26 AM

Gerard will become famous soon enoughGerard will become famous soon enough

Abel reel spec are HERE Scroll down for older reels.

I've just bought a Super 7 fro my 8wt bonefish rod. My first ever Abel....I feel I've got have at least one in my arsenal as their reputation is legendary.

I went for the 7 b/c It will take the backing and 8wt line, but is lighter and more compact which I think is important in balancing a rod.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:43 AM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
Abel reel spec are HERE Scroll down for older reels.

I've just bought a Super 7 fro my 8wt bonefish rod. My first ever Abel....I feel I've got have at least one in my arsenal as their reputation is legendary.

I went for the 7 b/c It will take the backing and 8wt line, but is lighter and more compact which I think is important in balancing a rod.

I have a super 7 that I used on an 8wt and that was my steelhead setup. It was a very good match. I bought the flex kit with an extra spool so I could have a floater and a sink. Sold the rod when I switched to spey a few years ago, but kept the Abel. Going to try it on a 7wt I am building now. I think you will enjoy the reel!
Old 02-15-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
TN - if you go to the Abel website and do a search you will find the specs for the pt.5. To me, the pt.5 is too much reel for that rod. It's rated for a 5/6 but I use mine on 4 wt.s and it's fine.

For the rod you have, and if you want an Abel at a "discount" I would suggest a fully ported Abel Super 2. Don't get me wrong, that Big Game "0" I have is awesome and a fine pairing to any small line weight rod. But it's heavy. And it's too heavy for your shorter light weight 3 wt. rod IMO. An even better choice, albeit more expensive, is the Abel Super 3N. I like it more than the Super 2 because it's narrower and taller.

If drag is not important to you on a reel, and this is a personal preference, look hard at the creek/trout models. They're cheaper, they're well built, and they're beautiful. If I was buying an Abel for a short 3 wt. I would look long and hard here. I put my Abel 0 on a short Sage 373 SLT and it was way too heavy to be comfortable for me - and I prefer a heavier reel.

As a side note, gentlemen, there is a line of Abel reels that incorporate a plastic reel handle. It's the Abel Extreme - a lower cost alternative to the original Abel Big Game Series. I think they're ugly.

Cheers,
Mike
Thanks Chi, I thought that I saw one of Abel's reel with a drag knob that appeared to have been made of plastic. Thought maybe I was wrong.