The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 05:12 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about
Default New Orvis Battenkill clicker

Just saw (in a catalog) a redesigned for 2013 Battenkill with internally adjustable click and pawl drag, machined bar stock aluminum and weighs from 2.8 to 3.2 oz. $98, looks like a contender for light rods. I couldn't find it on the Orvis site yet. Anyone see one in person?
Old 02-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: New Orvis Battenkill clicker

No but it sounds good.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-16-2013, 06:12 PM
Banned

rayzor will become famous soon enoughrayzor will become famous soon enough

this may help....

Battenkill Reel -- Orvis UK

jaybo41 likes this.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:35 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Now that is sweet, If I am understanding correctly the inertia from palming a spinning reel rotates the square to a different position thus increasing tension on the pawl. Neat idea however it works.

Dave
Old 02-16-2013, 07:14 PM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishiowa View Post
Just saw (in a catalog) a redesigned for 2013 Battenkill with internally adjustable click and pawl drag, machined bar stock aluminum and weighs from 2.8 to 3.2 oz. $98, looks like a contender for light rods. I couldn't find it on the Orvis site yet. Anyone see one in person?
It looks like a nice reel. Supposedly ships late March 2013 and available first week of April.

You need a very light or short rod to balance with this light reel.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:47 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I saw them yesterday at the Orvis booth in a local show. They are elegant and priced right. The spring and pawl mechanism is a little cruder than on the old Battenkills or the Hardy Lightweight models, probably to keep the cost down, but it's better than the old Madisons. The spring posts don't seem to be as solidly riveted to the frame as in the good old days, but only time will tell if that is a technological advance or a long-term durability concern.

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Now that is sweet, If I am understanding correctly the inertia from palming a spinning reel rotates the square to a different position thus increasing tension on the pawl. Neat idea however it works.

Dave
Didn't look that way to me on the one I was playing with. There are several positions to which you can pre-set the "square" for different levels of tension, but it looked as though once you set it, it's stuck there until you pull the spool off and change it again. Basically, the click check provides a certain level of tension, and if you need more drag you use the palming rim. (Which is all you really need for trout. Heck, Lee Wulff even used to catch 20-lb salmon that way.)
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:04 AM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Talked to Orvis and they tell me that it is manufactured for them in China and Korea. It will be interesting to hear reports form the membership when it sees some water. Good price.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:58 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Considering whare they are manufactured the price seems almost fair enough for me to grab the dinky one for my dinky rods.
It is kind of refreshing to see someone not trying to price them out of the ballpark simply because they wear a certain name.
Hopefully the world-class Orvis guarantee applies to these reels.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:01 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Seems they will be available in early April. VERY tempting!
Old 02-17-2013, 11:17 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see they brought the Battenkill back in some iteration or another. I really like the styling of the reel. The price point seems to be right in line to compete with a few reels similar to this.

I had read about these in a fishing publication and saw that they got good reviews. The good thing about Orvis reels is that they will service them in the event there is a problem, regardless of how old the reel is. It will be interesting to see how these are received once they are more readily available.