The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Spring and Pawl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
The earliest Medalists were all spring/pawl but after they developed the "brake drag" (I don't know what else to call it) only the 2 smallest models retained the spring/pawl... the 1492 and 1492 1/2
You're right Paul, my 1495 is a brake and the 1492 1/2 is a clicker.........

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-18-2013, 11:54 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
I think the terms got mismatched a bit; maybe "click check" and "spring pawl" are both correct terms but ended up getting jumbled. I've also heard them called "click paw"; pretty sure that ISN'T correct

Chimney was once "chimley" when I was younger and my favorite local word massacre is a stream called "Presque Isle stream" which is almost without fail called "pressteel stream" by young and old alike.
It now shows up as "Prestile Stream" on most maps and even in the Maine fishing regulations. Have you ever fished there? Supposedly it's a rare New England limestoner with prolific hatches, and it's so far from anywhere heavily populated that it doesn't get much pressure. I've been curious about fishing it, except that it's so damn far to drive.

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
What is your opinion and your favorite example of this type of design new or old? Not to compete with Ard, but what is the most unlikely fish you have brought to hand with such a reel?
I think "spring and pawl" is more accurate, because it describes the design components of the mechanism, but I have caught myself saying "click and pawl" because they seem to be used interchangeably.

Favorite example is the Hardy LRH with its screw adjustment and double pawls. The old English-made CFO's are nice too, but the Hardy is more elegantly machined and doesn't have any plastic parts.

Most unlikely fish was a 19" fallfish. I was fishing a Woolly Bugger on a sinking leader and thought I'd caught a whopper brown. (Some would say fallfish are no more unlikely in the East than whitefish are out West, but this thing was huge and put up quite a struggle.)

Incidentally, I find that even when I'm fishing with a disc drag reel I set the drag fairly light and apply extra pressure with the palming rim, rather than relying on a heavy drag setting to do all the work.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:34 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

moucheur, I live a short distance from the "Big Presque Isle" stream where it enters the Saint John river. I fish at that spot in the spring as there is a good number of rainbow trout and a few 2lb brook trout hanging around. I have fished upstream but not far; maybe 5 miles or so. The "little Presque Isle" stream is the back line of my property; much smaller with brook trout up to 12".
Both streams are named for Presque Isle Maine as far as I know. Interesting that the maps are using the local pronunciation!
Old 02-18-2013, 03:50 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it's me...
Presque Isle Stream is in (wait for it) Presque Isle
Prestile Stream is in Mars Hill..... there was once an article about it in Flyfisherman magazine so I know this is not a mistake
Old 02-18-2013, 04:17 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Orvis - Limited-Edition CFO III Reel customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 02-18-2013, 08:31 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Maybe it's me...
Presque Isle Stream is in (wait for it) Presque Isle
Prestile Stream is in Mars Hill..... there was once an article about it in Flyfisherman magazine so I know this is not a mistake
I've kinda got us off topic here but if you follow the Presque Isle stream on the map it flows from Presque Isle through Mars Hill and crosses into Canada to empty into the Saint John river. The gov't signs on the bridges in Canada all call it "Big Presque Isle stream". I think "Prestile" may have been adapted from the french pronunciation of Presque Isle, which when spoken quickly sounds like "prestile". So, I guess I'm wrong about it being a word massacre seeing that it is listed as the actual name in some documents; always wondered about that.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:31 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

From Silver Creek's Orvis link; "As a respectful nod to the past, a limited, individually numbered supply of these spring-and-pawl reels will be made."

OK, fine, "Spring and Pawl" it is. Probably good to fish with on Presque Isle Stream.
wannafish likes this.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:59 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
From Silver Creek's Orvis link; "As a respectful nod to the past, a limited, individually numbered supply of these spring-and-pawl reels will be made."

OK, fine, "Spring and Pawl" it is. Probably good to fish with on Presque Isle Stream.
If you are going to pay $695 for it, you should be entitled to call it anything you want!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:20 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
I've kinda got us off topic here but if you follow the Presque Isle stream on the map it flows from Presque Isle through Mars Hill and crosses into Canada to empty into the Saint John river. The gov't signs on the bridges in Canada all call it "Big Presque Isle stream". I think "Prestile" may have been adapted from the french pronunciation of Presque Isle, which when spoken quickly sounds like "prestile". So, I guess I'm wrong about it being a word massacre seeing that it is listed as the actual name in some documents; always wondered about that.
On my maps Presque Isle Stream flows for a good distance south to north before turning east in Mapleton, entering the Aroosook River in Presque Isle.

Prestile Steam headwaters at Christina Reservoir in Fort Fairfield and flows south through Easton, Mars Hill, and Bridgewater before entering NB at Centreville where it becomes Presquile River
wannafish likes this.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:30 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I always called them click and pawl. I'll keep calling them that regardless if its actually called spring and check or whatever. As far as unique fish landed with them, a 20lb carp in the Towpath Canal and yesterday as painful as it is to admit I baptized my cane rod and OC click and pawl with a freaking 12" fall fish.