The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide
  • 1 Post By sweetandsalt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 03:07 PM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice
Default Question about older Orvis CFO IV

I just acquired an older model Orvis CFO IV reel. After reading some recent posts, I'm not sure whether to call it a "click and pawl" or a "spring and pawl" reel. Anyway It an has an old line and the reel is clearly set up for right hand reeling. I want to use it reeling with my left hand.

Question: what, if anything, do I need to do to convert it (aside from stripping off the old line and putting new line on in the right direction!)?

Thanks for your help with this.....
Old 02-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Question about older Orvis CFO IV

Look at the position the pawls are oriented to right now. You just flip them to a mirror image of what they are now. It does make a difference. I would take a picture and post it to show you but by the time I do all that you'll have it figured out.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-17-2013, 03:35 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure that you need to flip the pawls (has 2 right ?) to the mirror image of what it is now.

oops.... I guess that I'm a bit slow ... I tried to find a picture
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:44 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Be sure to set the spring tensioner to its lightest position. Only leaf spring tension holds the triangular pawls on their two posts. Usually one is engaged and the other is flipped in a neutral position so to convert, you may merely need to switch from one to the other. As Ard said though, you may still need to slide out and reverse the position of the active pawl. Give them a droplet of light oil too. Oh, and congratulations on your new acquisition, the CFO IV is an all time favorite of mine. Ideal on a 9'/#4 rod.
Hardyreels likes this.