The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 10:02 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Need some moral advice

Ard got me thinking in his "Made in the US" thread. While my rods and reels are all made in the US, little else I own is (cars, computers, etc.), so who am i to judge?

If you like the reel and it's a good deal, think of it as a wedding gift from our allies in South Korea!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:52 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

I got the DD4000 black edition. It is a sexy and amazingly built reel. I at first didnt think I would like the black, but I was very wrong. If I could have got that deal for 200 I would have bought two.

---------- Post added at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Might as well get used to it. In another couple of years you will probably be lucky to find a sandwich made in the US.
I kind of disagree, my company is slowly finding out outsourcing is not saving us much money, if any. Our turn over rate in India is insane, and it is costing us a lot of money, we are trying Mexico now, but we are finding some of them to be a bit slow at learning, which my field to some is not easy to learn. I will be down there teaching for about six months at the end of the year to see what happens, but I know a lot of companies are slowly moving out of India for call centers because of the turn over rate and them not saving much money vs customer satisfaction. While I am not saying jobs are coming back here I bet it slows down how fast companies like mine outsource, I know it has mine at least and our customers which include all the major cell phone carriers in the US and Canada.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:17 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is new regulations and taxes that take effect over the next two years. First victim is going to be full time jobs. The second is going to be jobs. Third, after implementing the second, is going to be US based manufacturing. The whole corporations and the rich are evil war was won, and it was not by the rich and corporations. Check back in two years and we'll see.

By the way, they already see number one on the way and just redefined full time as 30 hours. It just means a 28 hour week is going to be normal. # 2 & 3 are already showing signs as well.

P.S. Going to Mexico is more dangerous than Iraq right now. I'd try and give that a miss as well. Stay well away from any border town. Watch where you go.

Last edited by Guest1; 02-19-2013 at 02:24 AM. Reason: missed a word
Old 02-19-2013, 01:26 AM

Ive been to Mexico City several times and feel safer there than I do in Kansas City, KC is rated as the third most dangerous city in the US, right behind St. Louis.

I also have a driver, who goes with me everywhere I go lol.

I am working on getting a position overseas hopefully UK area or that part of Europe, or Australia area. Crossing fingers at least haha

The border cities of US/Mexico are dangerous, but people have I think a mis-interpreted view of all of Mexico, people are very very nice in Mexico City and I have never felt any kind of fear down there, also many people seem to forget that the US is far from a safe country, while our justice system is better in certain ways, I am a pretty calm person and do not go out much so I also do not see myself getting in any type of legal issues lol
Old 02-19-2013, 02:23 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to go to Mexico also. But there is no way I am going back till they get a grip on the cartels. Right now Mexico is a narco-terrorist state. Getting worse by the day. As I said, no border towns, no back street anywhere, and be damn careful. By the way, statistically we are safer than most countries. We have a press that right now is playing up every thing they can. Agenda there as well.
rockriver likes this.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I used to go to Mexico also. But there is no way I am going back till they get a grip on the cartels. Right now Mexico is a narco-terrorist state. Getting worse by the day. As I said, no border towns, no back street anywhere, and be damn careful. By the way, statistically we are safer than most countries. We have a press that right now is playing up every thing they can. Agenda there as well.
I tend to not go near the shady areas haha but there is also a lot our media misses, KC just at the beginning of the year last year had more homicides in the first two months than most cities have all year. The gang activity in KC, Columbia (middle Missouri) and St. Louis has gotten very bad and a lot of people do not know this, I have yet to see anything on the news about this, even locally.

I know Mexico is bad cartel wise, but like I said Mexico City is really not that bad, or at least they hide it very well. Last time I was down there I went to the accent ruins, forget what they were called, but it was awesome and very beautiful, but having my driver/I guess body guard since the dude is pretty big with me I guess helps, plus he speaks spanish and mine is horrible, so I am sure he keeps me out of the bad areas and would say anything if I was in the mood to explore, but typically my days consist of going to my companies campus, working then coming back and passing out or sitting down at the bar in the building haha

But anyways I will stop thread jacking

Just know the 4000DD is a great reel, no matter where it is made, for the price point you can not beat it. Hardy has what to me seems like great quality control. So I am not sure if they make the reels in Asia and then ship them back to the UK to inspect or what, but I love my DD.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:40 AM

Gerard will become famous soon enoughGerard will become famous soon enough

South Korea is not China. The quality is very different.
I have a Sage 8080Pro reel made in Korea....quality is outstanding. I also have just bought an Abel and the quality is equally outstanding. I have a TFO BVK..great quality and also Sage & Orvis rods...great quality. I have Chinese made reels....not so great...but there is a price point difference.
Many of the CNC machines are actually make in Korea-Hyundai; they are leaders in other technology, Samsung-phone and flat screens etc.

It is well worth listen to Rick Pope is the owner of Temple Fork Outfitters pod cast MP3 or iTunes were he does discuss the manufacturing of equipment off shore and in particular Korea where they have a factory.

Interestingly in Steve Hemkens of Orvis' podcast of Dec '12 he suggests Orvis will be focusing on USA built reel in the near future (18 months or so)....MP3
stuie675 likes this.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:25 AM

djamtime will become famous soon enough

Thank you everybody for sharing all of your opinions and experience. There are alot of good and valid points here. Just to clarify I do not own all of the reels I mentioned earlier. I just wish or had wished I did. I do however believe that I have come across a great deal and a chance fo finally make my money go a little further. I think my new rod will get a nice mate also
Old 02-19-2013, 07:11 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I think your moral dilemma is whether you can afford to be adding to your toy collection right now, not whether to buy a Korean rather than an American product.

If you can afford it, buy the damn reel. My dad was an immigrant and a Marine who lost buddies in Korea. Everyone in the world has a right to basic human dignity and a decent way to earn a living, not only Americans. The United States didn't spend the last 65 years and the blood of a lot of patriots trying to bring (at least part of) Korea into the free, first world international community, only to boycott their competitive products out of some misplaced sense of national pride now that we have finally succeeded.

If you can't afford it, don't buy it, and don't even think about getting an English-made Perfect or a US-made Saracione instead.

(By the way, do you have a cell phone? Where is it made? How about your computer and monitor?)

Last edited by moucheur2003; 02-19-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:26 AM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

The DD is an awesome reel! I got one in November and its flawless machining at its best!! I'm also going to order another soon...probably a 5000