The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 05:16 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Need Some Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
I am not sure how much backing to load on a Featherweight for a WF3F, the reel specs. are for a 4 or 5 weight line, maybe 50 - 60 yards
To get the right amount of backing; wind your WF3F onto the reel first, attach backing and wind on until the spool is as full as you like it, then unwind the whole thing around a large room being careful to avoid tangles, attach the backing to the arbor and wind the whole line back on in reverse order.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:25 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
Thanks for the advice Guys, I just dropped into my local fly shop and asked them how long I would have to wait. (8-10 weeks) for his next order to come in.: I think I am going to enjoy the F.W. on this rod, but I am not sure how much backing to load on a Featherweight for a WF3F, the reel specs. are for a 4 or 5 weight line, maybe 50 - 60 yards.Well ordering the Hardy gives me a quick FIX for my addiction untill the season opens or the next big one comes along. There's still that Abel that I need (want).
Based on experience with some of the other reels I have, you could probably fill it with backing between the first and second rows of porting starting from the center hub and call it a day.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:29 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I have this 376-4 ZXL I had it paired with a Lamson Purist. Key word in that sentence was had. The purist was to light , it felt funny. I recently bought and old Ross Rhythm (4.3oz I believe). It is a tad heavy but the balance feels night and day better.

I think the purist was around 2.5oz or so before backing and SA textured trout .....way to light IMO
Old 02-21-2013, 08:39 PM

troutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
I have this 376-4 ZXL I had it paired with a Lamson Purist. Key word in that sentence was had. The purist was to light , it felt funny. I recently bought and old Ross Rhythm (4.3oz I believe). It is a tad heavy but the balance feels night and day better.

I think the purist was around 2.5oz or so before backing and SA textured trout .....way to light IMO
Interesting comment for me. I was in the process of picking out a reel for my 376-4 ZXL and was taking a serious look at the Waterworks Lamson Purist. After talking to the local fly shop I changed my mind and decided to hold off. I turned 180 deg. and took a hard look at the Hardy line. From the feedback I received here at the forum I decided to buy the "Featherweight". I think I am going to be very happy with the decision. I recently sold the only Hardy I had and kick myself for it.
comeonavs likes this.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:31 PM

jtliving is on a distinguished road

Very interesting and timely thread. I have exactly the same rod, 3 weight, 7'6'' ZXL, for the same game. They were on sale all over the place. I just got a lamson waterworks litespeed 1.5 for it. and loaded it with 100 yds of 20lb. backing and the SA Mastery trout WF4F line. I just finished putting it on and then saw this thread. I think I'm on the right track, as the Hardy reel recommended here looks comparable in size (the 1.5 is 3.45 oz.).
Old 02-22-2013, 06:24 AM

troutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtliving View Post
Very interesting and timely thread. I have exactly the same rod, 3 weight, 7'6'' ZXL, for the same game. They were on sale all over the place. I just got a lamson waterworks litespeed 1.5 for it. and loaded it with 100 yds of 20lb. backing and the SA Mastery trout WF4F line. I just finished putting it on and then saw this thread. I think I'm on the right track, as the Hardy reel recommended here looks comparable in size (the 1.5 is 3.45 oz.).
jt,funny you should mention the 1.5 Litespeed on your ZXL, because that is what I presently have on mine. I was just looking for an excuse to buy more gear due to the fever I have had for the last few weeks (cabin). I'm sure that I will be all right when I get some fresh air. I really like that 1.5,as well as my Speedster, Velocity, ST. John, Battenkill. Wow, the fever is coming back, I better lay low.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:02 AM

jtliving is on a distinguished road

LOL. You wanna talk fever!?I was just thinking the same! I've been buying stuff I don't need because I'm not outside on some stream. But I did get an extra spool and now have both a 3 and 4 weight line to pick from. I just picked up the ZXL last October and haven't used it much yet. I've practiced a bit with it indoors but haven't got the feel for it yet. I just started fly fishing last year and I had a bigger Cabela's 5 weight 9 footer. So this is my first taste of the higher end merchandise and a rod more fashioned for the little streams in Western Wisconsin and SE Minnesota. Yea, I've got cabin fever too!
Old 02-22-2013, 08:07 PM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

A number of years ago, a friend ran a fly shop (an expensive friend) and each time I bought a rod, he automatically put a Hardy Lwt series on it. I bought a two weight rod from him and got a Flyweight reel. I didn't like that reel from the first time I fished it. Just too small, the flyline looked like macaroni when I pulled it off the reel. The series would be better off by obsoleting the flyweight and adding reels on the other end.