The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   Will Abel Creek 1 LA hold a WF 4wt line? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/312271-will-abel-creek-1-la-hold-wf-4wt-line.html)

gretch6364 03-01-2013 02:25 PM

Will Abel Creek 1 LA hold a WF 4wt line?

Has anyone put a 4wt WF line on the Abel Creek 1 Large Arbor? If so how much backing? Did you use gel spun?

I know that you can get the standard arbor, but I prefer large arbor and less backing on a 4wt reel. I don't want the AC2 as I will also be getting an extra spool for my fiberglass 3wt.

I really appreciate the help.

Guest1 03-01-2013 02:39 PM

Re: Will Abel Creek 1 LA hold a WF 4wt line?

They recommend it for up to 3 wt. I'd go with the 2. You can use any backing you want. Not sure how much, just put the line on backwards first, wind it on then attach the backing and reel till it's as full as you want it. Strip it all off and put it back on backing first. Works every time perfect first try.

FrankB2 03-01-2013 04:31 PM

Dan has it right....BUT....You said you didn't want the AC2 because of a 3wt rod. I had two Abel TR3 reels: 3.25" diameter, standard arbor, and .75" spool width. They held a WF4 line nicely, but I wouldn't go any smaller. Abel's site claims that reel could hold a 7/8wt line. I'd like to see that! Abel is also saying that the AC1 will hold a WF3 with 55yds of backing. You might be able to get a WF4 on there with a few feet of backing just to attach the line to the spool.

You could get the AC1 with a standard arbor for your 4wt, and large arbor for your 3wt. You could also buy the large arbor Abel for the rod you'll use most often (AC2 if it's the 4wt), and buy a Cortland Retro for less than half the price of an Abel spool for the other rod. That gives you two reels in the proper size, and without compromise. You also save enough to buy premium lines in both sizes...or put in the bank, etc. ;)

MoscaPescador 03-01-2013 08:51 PM

A WF4F can fit on an Abel Creek 1 LA. I have spooled one up. I never paid attention on how much 20 pound backing was put on, but if I guessed, it was about 30 yards. Keep in mind that line can be cut off the back end of the fly line if need be.

The Creek 1 LA balances well on short 4 weights.

I use a Creek 2 LA on a 9 foot 4 weight. It balances just fine.

Dennis

FrankB2 03-01-2013 08:56 PM

Listen to Dennis. He used to sell those reels, and if says it's so, it's so. ;)

MoscaPescador 03-02-2013 01:46 AM

Thanks, Frank.

I'll also add that one doesn't really need a lot of backing on a 4 weight. But if more backing is wanted, one could switch to 12 pound test Dacron or a skinnier super braid.

In some cases, it doesn't hurt to cut some of the back end of the fly line off. Ten to 15 feet of running line removed can be replaced with many yards of backing.

Dennis

glcaddis 03-02-2013 01:31 PM

I've stopped using the SA, Cortland, etc braided flyline backing. I use the new braided synthetic bait casting lines. The 20 lb. test is .008 diameter. You can get at least 100 yards of that on a spool that used to take only 30 yards of the other stuff plus line.

cletus 01-11-2014 09:30 AM

I recently purchased an Abel Creek 1 LA and put an SA Textured Trout WF line on it. I could comfortably get 25 feet of 20# backing on it. I used that reel on my shorter 4 weights.