The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 12:00 PM

troutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nice
Arrow 6wt Ross F1, Orvis Mirage, Tibor Backcountry, or Hatch Finatic

Which reel has the best drag performance, reliability, and durability? It will go on my new 9ft 6wt Winston Boron iii sx. It will be used for carp, bass, trout, and light steelhead.I'm also looking at the Nautilus NV.

Last edited by troutchaser8; 03-07-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:22 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: 6wt Ross F1, Orvis Mirage, or Tibor Backcountry

Is Tibor BackCountry a version of Tibor Light? If so, it does not feature Tibor's famed version of cork disc, draw-bar drag system. The other two reels have sealed high performance drags. the Mirage is built in China if that is an issue and the Ross F1 is made in Colorado. I have asked our forum members before: Does any one have personal experience with F1? Looks good on their web site and Denaki's news letter posted a glowing review of it in use in Andros. I have not fished one and I am very curious and, if I were to experiment between these three (leaving Nautilus NV, Hatch and Abel out of the mix), I would go with F1. Another reel, made in Asia like Mirage, but more interesting and beloved by a pro guide buddy of mine, is Cheeky Reels...they are also colorful if that is a good or bad thing.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:01 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

If it were me...

Galvan Torque size 6 or Abel 6N

Out of your three choices, the Ross hands down.

Purely personal preference, all kinds of good reels out there.

Last edited by kwb; 03-03-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:41 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

I'd take the Ross F1 over the other 2.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:53 PM

Meatco1 is on a distinguished road

Well, sorry to see you left Abel out of the mix, the 5N would be perfect for your rod. But, of the three you mentioned, I too would vote for the Ross F1 as the reel of choice.

Respects,

Richard
Old 03-04-2013, 07:37 PM

troutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nice

The Abel is just a little too expensive......but it would be nice!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:25 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6wt Ross F1, Orvis Mirage, Tibor Backcountry, or Hatch Finatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutchaser8 View Post
Which reel has the best drag performance, reliability, and durability? It will go on my new 9ft 6wt Winston Boron iii sx. It will be used for carp, bass, trout, and light steelhead.
I haven't fished for steelhead before. The majority of reels over $100 are really well made. I've chosen to use Galvan and Ross reels because of their appearance, weight, and the way the feel and sound. I also have Okuma reels that perform really well (especially the Okuma SLV), and while their drags work just fine for some rather large freshwater game fish, I like the Ross reels better (Evo LT and Rhythm). The F1 looks to have a beefier drag system that might have been designed with saltwater in mind. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be perfect for freshwater.

If it were my Winston rod, I'd forget the Orvis reel. They'd clash. The Ross F1 looks nice, but has a large number of O-Rings, and I just can't imagine them lasting forever: Ross The F1's drag knob maintains a constant pressure while increasing the drag, and that means adjusting on the fly is much easier than having to progressively crank down on a knob.

I've handled Tibor reels, but didn't like the little drag "knob". I also didn't like the solid face on the drag side of the reel. The Constant Lube system seems a bit under-engineered. There are better ways and materials to create a drag system.

While I might have some reservations about using a Ross LT for larger saltwater fish, its simple design and good looks have served me well for several years (going back to the original Evolution series). The Rhythm and Evo LT are tough to beat for the money, with the nod going to the newer LT series because it looks nicer than the original, keeps the same drag system, and uses a metal drag knob rather than the original's plastic. I've just never had any sort of issue with these reels.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:17 PM

45srbest is on a distinguished road

I second the vote for the Abel 5n. I fish it on my winston 6wt gvx and have no complaints. It seems to meet your criteria of "drag performance, reliability, and durability".
Old 03-05-2013, 08:43 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Well, I held out, but if we're offering other suggestions that the three in the OP's post, I'll suggest a Bauer Rogue.