The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2008, 09:58 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default New reel choices....help me decide!

Hi everyone.

I recently decided to buy a couple new rods. First, an Albright A-5 5wt. 9ft. for my all arounder and second a cheap little WW Griggs 3 wt. 6' 6" for little creeks I like to go to. (SE Idaho....South Fork, Henry's Fork, Teton, Bear Creek, Rainey Creek, etc.)

Naturally I need new reels to go with my new rods. Ideally I would like to be able to buy one reel and just change spools depending on where I was going and what rod I was taking. Is that wishful thinking? Do I need a small reel to balance such a small creek rod?

The reels I am thinking about are: 1.)Ross Flystart, 2.)Scierra IC3 system, 3.)A 50 dollar reel that I read a review on here on this forum made by some guy that sells them on E-Bay. If you haven't read the review....sorry. If you did you know what reel I mean!

You can see a theme here....I don't have a lot of money and am looking at budget reels.

Any input/advice/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Dorian
Old 01-22-2008, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New reel choices....help me decide!

How much money can you afford to spend?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 01-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

That is a quick little 3 wt. I know cause I have one. Are you thinking of ONE line also or one reel with an extra spool?
That would be ideal (the extra spool)
I don't see a problem with a small reel for your 5 wt. like a Ross or what ever.
You will be adding a lot more backing for the 3wt however so maybe look at a Large Arbor or a Mid.
Example: I have the Large Arbor II by Orvis that I can put maybe 50yrds of backing for a 5wt, and 100 yrds for a 3 weight.
Also, like I started, that Griggs is a FAST stick, try a 5wt on it for kicks.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:52 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Thanks Joni. I already bought a 4 wt for it, the guy I bought it from said he had the same rod and it loaded well with the 4 wt. Hope he's right!

I would buy as many extra spools as I needed. So for example, if I got the Ross Flystart I would have 2 spools for my 5 wt. and 1 spool for my 3 wt. and just change the reel back and forth.

The Scierra is a plastic cartridge type system that comes with 1 reel, 4 cartridges and a case, I thought that was pretty cool for 90 bucks or so, but just don't know if it is trash or what.

I am hoping to keep it all around a hundred bucks. I know that isn't much and I am limiting myself greatly, but there do seem to be some choices in this price range.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

There is nothing wrong with that plastic reel with the cartridges. My Brother in law has one with AN "O" ring for a drag.
For trout a good drag is not that important, but you want enough resistance that it doesn't back lash.
Go for it, then when you get really hooked up grade.
I was going to suggest a 4wt for it....you can never have too many 4wts LOL
Old 01-22-2008, 11:26 PM

I think that Scierra is die cast aluminum, but the "spool" part that you replace when you change lines is a plastic cartridge. At least looks like a cool system. Then again, I get the feeling that even though the Flystart is a cheap reel, Ross isn't going to put their name on total ****.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:53 AM

You are probably right. I have never own a Ross. No reason, just haven't.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:12 AM

fatguide is on a distinguished road

Nothing wrong with starting with an inexpensive reel. For many, many years I considered them as line holders, drag was unimportant, never put many fish "on the reel". With the advancement in light leader material, I now use a lot more light leader and the reels with better drags became important.

Don't skimp on fly line however. The line you buy has a direct connection with the casting ability of your new rods.

Just my .02

fish or DIE
Old 01-23-2008, 11:25 AM

burns is on a distinguished road

How do you like the Albright? I was thinking of buying one, but ended up with an Echo 2 on Ebay @ a great price. I still may get an A-5 one day.

What about the Lamson Konic? My wife just got one and it is very nice, with a great drag.

Joni - you have a CFO disc, right? How do you like it? I'm thinking of a CFO disc or a Batt Bar Stock for my 4-weight.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:29 AM

I do. I have the newer DISC. The Bronze one. It is very nice looking and a great made reel. Light as heck.
I was lucky enough however to score some of the English Spring/Pawl. Not a reel for a beginner howevr. The drag is really non exhisting in a S/P.

I had a package deal for one of the members here on a Teastick 7' 4wt. two tip boo and the CFO but, guess it wasn't what he was looking for. Great combination.