The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 01:11 PM

sageandonion is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lamson Litespeed 2??

Re. wide spool / uneven retrieve... if you fish smaller waters with light tackle, where the fish are below 3lb, you'll almost never play one on the reel, so spool width isn't an issue. Just be a good tidy boy at the end of a day's fishing and wind your line back on nice and even.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:16 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

This is totally true but raises a question. With other superior designs available, is the admiration for and loyalty to Waterworks products so palpable that you would invest in a reel for small stream use that is potentially problematic should you vacation to a destination where the outfit might encounter trout that are bigger and stronger? Why not go with Abel, Hatch, Nautilus, Galvan, Hardy...all with narrower, deeper spools and fine quality drag systems, to begin with?
Old 10-23-2013, 02:39 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
This is totally true but raises a question. With other superior designs available, is the admiration for and loyalty to Waterworks products so palpable that you would invest in a reel for small stream use that is potentially problematic should you vacation to a destination where the outfit might encounter trout that are bigger and stronger? Why not go with Abel, Hatch, Nautilus, Galvan, Hardy...all with narrower, deeper spools and fine quality drag systems, to begin with?
Man does not(shouldn't have to) live by one rod/reel alone. Or was it bread, I'm not sure!
Old 10-23-2013, 03:27 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

With this I totally agree and am no brand loyalist myself. It does not, however, respond to my question. I will say, as I did in the Hatch thread, that I select a rod first then seek the optimal reel to balance its weight, capacity and performance requirements. I have a sweetheart of a low performance 4-weight that I enjoy on some modest sized creeks and mount with a charming, equally low performance old CFO. I also have a techno-monster, big river 4-wight that is mated to a Galvan Torque with 30# backing on it. Two different rigs for sure but both reels have soundly designed aspect ratios.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:20 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
You're ignoring the advantage that the Waterworks reels' wider spool provides, though you mention in a previous post that you are aware of it.

Tippet protection.

It's still valuable, even (or maybe especially) when the trout are big and strong.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:04 AM

Rob, I am unclear as to what special tippet protection is offered in a wide spool reel. Isn't this more a function of low inertial start up which Lamson and other fine tunable quality drags all enjoy? Or are you refereeing to the diameter change effecting drag setting with a lot of line out? In large arbor reels, even narrow ones, diameter change is not as significant as in conventional arbor reels and, if you have a lot of line out and are regaining it while gaining on a strong fish, that is EXACTLY when the shallow, wide spool is a potential uniform line retrieval issue fare more probable in causing a break off due to jamming a pillar than drag change effecting tippet protection.

Now there are many skilled anglers fishing Waterworks and other wide spooled reels that are just accustomed to the pitfalls and instinctively use their fingers a "level winder" guides. And, as I have also said before, I think other than this aspect ratio issue, these are fine and attractive reels. They have become my example though of a specific reel design flaw (in my opinion) and as you know, I am very analytically critical both positively and negatively of fly reels.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:37 AM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

I'm still somewhat new to all of this. It took reading some of S&Ss posts about wide arbor spools and rod balancing more than once coupled with a little of my own experience to get what he was talking about.

I have a Guru 2 on a 5wt that I really like. I believe it has the correct amount of backing vs. line to be spooled correctly with some space left over with all the line on the spool. On occasion, if I let too much line out, I have had this binding problem referred to by S&S. I can't say that I wouldn't run into the same problem with a narrower reel. I can see how it may be less likely though.

I was shopping for a new reel just recently (bought the Velocity Hard Alloy II at a closeout price). While researching reels, someone suggested that reels have become too light these days and that a heavier reel, even if it meant going up a size, may balance a rod better. I love my Lamson reels for a variety of reasons (Konic II 1.5, Guru 2, and now Velocity 3x) and have no desire to trade them for anything else. I wonder though if there isn't an argument in all of this for buying up a size in reel in some cases, not only for the extra space in the spool, but also for the extra weight to better or more properly balance our rods? I mean this to be a question for all of today's large arbor reels, not just Lamson reels.

Last edited by ts47; 11-18-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:22 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Now there are many skilled anglers fishing Waterworks and other wide spooled reels that are just accustomed to the pitfalls and instinctively use their fingers a "level winder" guides. And, as I have also said before, I think other than this aspect ratio issue, these are fine and attractive reels. They have become my example though of a specific reel design flaw (in my opinion) and as you know, I am very analytically critical both positively and negatively of fly reels.
I think you've got it backwards. If your messing with the line winding with your fingers your looking for issues. As I mentioned before I fish for "larger" trout/salmon. I don't use my fingers when retrieving line, don't know why anyone would, it'll wind on relatively level on its own. One less thing to worry about. I don't see the pitfalls of a wider/shallower reel. As I mentioned I use one on my 2 hander, integrated running line and 25 ft of a much larger dia. shooting head, if your going to have issues with winding line back on this would be the worse possible case. If I wind the line back on by hand and guide it to one side I can get the line binding the spool up. Easily. I keep my greasy meat-hooks out of the way and all's good.

As far as my loyality to waterworks, not so much, I do like having the same reel on as many different rods as possible. Makes life easier in many respects.
I've never had issues with them, I don't baby them, they get put down on the ground, pavement where ever its handy, they may look a little used but they still work fine, that's what's important. Made in America Too! Don't see any reason I should buy anything else.

I used someone elses 2 hander for a day this fall, it was set-up with a old hardy reel of some sorts. If it was mine I'd retire it. Had a brass line guide on the frame. At times the mono shooting line would wedge itself between the guide and spool. Stopped line from shooting or winding on the reel instantly. Not a good feeling. Yes, it looked nice but it was a useless, no even worse a detrimental feature. I also have seen reels that will allow line to get between the frame and spool. These are defects that concern me, I don't worry about a wide/shallow spool.

I guess the old saw about "your own experiences may vary", fits this kettle fish. We'll have to leave it at that.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:34 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Rob, I am unclear as to what special tippet protection is offered in a wide spool reel. Isn't this more a function of low inertial start up which Lamson and other fine tunable quality drags all enjoy? Or are you refereeing to the diameter change effecting drag setting with a lot of line out? In large arbor reels, even narrow ones, diameter change is not as significant as in conventional arbor reels and, if you have a lot of line out and are regaining it while gaining on a strong fish, that is EXACTLY when the shallow, wide spool is a potential uniform line retrieval issue fare more probable in causing a break off due to jamming a pillar than drag change effecting tippet protection.
I don't know how I missed this reply for a month!

In any case, I don't think you're "unclear" on why a reel designer would purposefully design a large arbor spool that's wider than typical; you just don't think the advantage(s) outweighs the disadvantage(s)--which is, of course, your prerogative.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:46 AM

Hi Rob, And, as Klunker says above, LOTS of reels have design flaws some worse than spool width. Therein is my fundamental issue; it is not Waterworks I have issue with it is any reel designer/maker that has gaps that line/tippet can get caught in, has a handle, counterbalance or any protrusion line can get caught up on, has a drag knob that is counterintuitive to fine tune drag settings or detents too far apart to fine tune the drag, or a drag with any lack of smoothness at start up or when cranked down, a spool that flexes, a spool lock mechanism that can fail, a drag that can become contaminated or any other determent to enjoying your angling you may think of in addition to aspect ratio.

Sound or lack there of, color availability and other aesthetic issues not withstanding, there are so many reels available now that it is improbable anyone can sample them all. And, within a range of price points, there are a few very good, many acceptable and a few rather poor designs and our forum, thorough individuals' personal experience, can inform one another as to what pitfalls as well as fine qualities to be aware of when enjoying selecting a new reel for the great new rod you have just acquired.