The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 10:15 AM

timd will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Lamson Litespeed 2??

I have found this thread fascinating and have to say I fall in behind Sweet and salts argument. Fishing for years in the salt for bonefish, tarpon etc I love large arbor reels but not ones with wide arbors. These days I spend most of my fly fishing for larger trout in Montana and use Galvans and Abel's with spool widths under the 1" size because when I'm fighting that 28" brown I want to concentrate on the fight and rod position not wether the line is getting stacked up on one side of the spool and locking it up, hence breaking off the fish. Just my opinion.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:47 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Thank you , Timd. May I say that my views on rod and reel design are forged by fishing for larger species in the salt and on big Eastern and Western, wild trout rivers, like yours are. Strengths and weaknesses of design are amplified by a bonefish streaking for the mangroves with rooster tails of water glinting off your disappearing fly line that might never be revealed on a beautiful little trout stream. I have written before about scalability of design such as manifested by the Abel Super Series in which a trout and tarpon reel are the same save for size, Hatch and Galvan reels too are scalable. Conversely, a quality company like Florida-built, Nautilus, builds no-holds-bared NV's for the salt and less robust FWX's for trout applications recognizing that some of the weight and complexity applicable in big game fly fishing is irrelevant in trout fishing. And then there are companies that have built trout reels and simply enlarge them and their components for saltwater use. This approach is less likely to be successful as a trout reel drag's most important feature is subtle, fine tuneability and the protection of tiny tippet diameters whereas in the salt, extra large sweep area, heat dissipation, predictable linearity under load and stopping power headroom are prioritized. Most of my preferred trout reels feature trickle down design features proven on the flats and rips by their makers saltwater models.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:02 PM

timd will become famous soon enough

A great analysis with which I totally agree. As stated I have spent years in the salt. I have also found that the older draw bar designs that work so well on a flat don't always transfer to the lighter smoothness with extremely low startup required on the trout stream. Different designs for different purposes.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:56 AM

royalcoach is on a distinguished road

Jesus H Christ S&S ....

You just talked me out of buying 3 new Lamson Litespeeds...

I need new reels on my 3 and 4 and 5 wts ...

Now wtf should I look at ?

Less money would be cool
Old 02-24-2014, 03:28 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Coachman, First I must say that it not my goal or intention to tell anybody what to or not to buy...I am striving to write objectively about rod and reel design. And lets give knowledgeable, Timd, some credit too. Stout drags are not a prerequisite in super light weight line outfits; but if you like a drag, the important thing is its smooth start up and predictable consistency along with very fine increments of adjustment. The main subject in question here was aspect ratio, width to depth of the line holding portion of the spool. Reels in the price point you are considering that I have had good experience with include; Nautilus FWX, Galvan Torque and Hardy U DD. Waterworks/Lamson has a newer model named Speedster that addresses the width criticism I have used them as a poster boy for violating. To illustrate absence of prejudice, though I have not fished Speedster, I would certainly consider it in comparison to the models I referred to above...and others will chime in with additional reels to consider.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:51 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

What I appreciate about Lamson reels are that the drag system is very smooth, they're very light in hand if you prefer a lighter reel or need one for a light rod, and the Hard Alox finish is great. They hold up very well. I owned a Litespeed and slipped hiking up a steep incline on a mountain stream and smacked my reel against a rock pretty hard. I was delighted to see only the slightest bit of rash. These are high quality reels at affordable prices.

Like S&S mentioned the wide aspect is the least desirable characteristic I found with them. I personally never had issues with reels in trout sizes, but did have a similar issue as described when fishing for Steelhead. The line wound up and bunched together on one side of the reel and fortunately for me it only cost me the fish as opposed to breaking the rod or damaging the line.

I have to agree, the Speedster looks to be a huge improvement to that end.

If you're like me, anyone considering a Galvan Torque will likely be in bliss when fishing them, I love the T6, T8 and T10's that I own. Do not overlook the Rush LT series or the predecessor, the Rush series if you can find them. They are not machined as heavily so there is added weight but the drag is the same silky smooth one you'll find in the Torque. What I've found with the Rush is it has that Classic meets Contemporary look that I enjoy.

Click the image to open in full size.

comeonavs likes this.

Last edited by jaybo41; 02-24-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:15 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I sold off several Lamson reels due to the aspect ratio. I didnt pay enough attention and "pinched" some line due to barreling and ruined $75 line.

Alas I did get back in the Lamson world with the Speedster. Ive yet to fish it but it feels good in hand.

Speedster 3

jaybo41 likes this.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:21 PM

royalcoach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Coachman, First I must say that it not my goal or intention to tell anybody what to or not to buy...I am striving to write objectively about rod and reel design. And lets give knowledgeable, Timd, some credit too. Stout drags are not a prerequisite in super light weight line outfits; but if you like a drag, the important thing is its smooth start up and predictable consistency along with very fine increments of adjustment. The main subject in question here was aspect ratio, width to depth of the line holding portion of the spool. Reels in the price point you are considering that I have had good experience with include; Nautilus FWX, Galvan Torque and Hardy U DD. Waterworks/Lamson has a newer model named Speedster that addresses the width criticism I have used them as a poster boy for violating. To illustrate absence of prejudice, though I have not fished Speedster, I would certainly consider it in comparison to the models I referred to above...and others will chime in with additional reels to consider.

I was being kinda sarcastic and facetious there ... probably didn't show.
Truth is this has been a good thread for me in that I learned something about arbor width.
I need 3new reels this Spring ... and I just looked at the Lamsons and liked the Litespeed... and had been watching Ebay closely.
I have always fished cheaper "lineholders" like Okumas and Cortlands ... but the time has come for me to put a better reel on my Sages....
Okuma on a Sage is wrong .... Cortland on a Sage is wrong
I think I saw a thread about that somewhere here.
Didn't mean to come off as a jackass .... was just having some fun and was amused that I loved those Litespeeds and then found this thread while looking for a review.

I was thinking I might put a discontinued Sage 2200 series on my 390-4 Z-Axis and my 590-4 Z-Axis and 490-4 SLT yet.

But now I am looking hard at the Galvan reels .....
Am now leaning towards 3 new Galvan Torque reels for my 3 Sage rods....
Anglers habitat and Gorge Fly Shop are giving away new Rio Gold lines with the purchase of a new Galvan Torque.
I was going to try the new Airflo Super Dry lines this season .... but guess it will be Rio Gold ...

Great site here guys .... took me long enough to find it.

Tight Lines !

Last edited by royalcoach; 02-25-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:13 PM

coloradocaddis970 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
I sold off several Lamson reels due to the aspect ratio. I didnt pay enough attention and "pinched" some line due to barreling and ruined $75 line.

Alas I did get back in the Lamson world with the Speedster. Ive yet to fish it but it feels good in hand.

Speedster 3

+1 for your speedster purchase I got a 3 to pair on my 9'9 One for streamers ad floating. The reel is amazing. No barreling, rapid retrieval and it's looks great. You won't be disappointed.

comeonavs likes this.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:38 PM

bwf is on a distinguished road

Another reel that should be thrown in with the names above are the Bauer reels, they have some of the smoothest drags I have used. Some don't like the star wheel adjustment being on same side as the handle, but to me that is minor and only on some of their reels. The M's and MSL's and MZ's have very smooth drags.
comeonavs likes this.