The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 07:19 PM

royalcoach is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lamson Litespeed 2??

Well ..... I got my Speedster 2 today,,, what a beautiful little machine.
It will go on my 5wt Z-Axis.
Its all S&S's fault ... you talked me out of a Litespeed ... for now anyways.

Also got a Galvan Rush 4 today as well... another sweet reel.
This one will see duty on my 4wt Sage SLT.

Still shopping for a 3wt reel..... thinking Galvan Brookie or Torque ... or maybe the Nautilus FWX.

My Cortland Pro Cast mid-arbors and Okumas will be saved as back-ups or give-aways I guess.

My last big purchase of the winter looks to be a 490-4 Sage One

Gonna be eating ramen noodles and peanut butter sammiches for awhile....
Gonna have to cut back on the Woodfords too
comeonavs likes this.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:23 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcoach View Post

Still shopping for a 3wt reel..... thinking Galvan Brookie or Torque ... or maybe the Nautilus FWX.

My Cortland Pro Cast mid-arbors and Okumas will be saved as back-ups or give-aways I guess.

Nice cant wait to get my speedster on the water as well, very smooth feeling reel.

Here let me give you my unsolicited vote for that 3wt reel

This baby shares time between a 390-4 Sage ONE and a 389-4Sage Circa

Click the image to open in full size.
ulflyfisherman and royalcoach like this.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:39 PM

Nice .... Is that the FWX ?
Which model ?

I need a new one for my 390-4 Z-Axis ... and my 366 LL .

Of course I would then have to get the "Tested on Animals" hat too
Old 03-11-2014, 07:42 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Nice .... Is that the FWX ?
Which model ?

I need a new one for my 390-4 Z-Axis ... and my 366 LL .

Of course I would then have to get the "Tested on Animals" hat too
Yes it is the FWX 3/4 in brushed silver. It is amazingly smooth, tight and every adjective you could describe.

It would fit well on either of those rods.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
Yes it is the FWX 3/4 in brushed silver. It is amazingly smooth, tight and every adjective you could describe.

It would fit well on either of those rods.
Jeezus .... you and S&S just sold a reel each for Lamson and Nautilus.

Truth be told ... I just sent a couple rods over to Anglershabitat.com to their trade up program. Should cover the FWX and a deposit on that Sage One.
comeonavs likes this.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:02 AM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwf View Post
Another reel that should be thrown in with the names above are the Bauer reels, they have some of the smoothest drags I have used. Some don't like the star wheel adjustment being on same side as the handle, but to me that is minor and only on some of their reels. The M's and MSL's and MZ's have very smooth drags.
And the Bauer Rogues have rear drag adjustment like most Fly reels. I rep Bauer, and I'll say this much John will not compromise in the quality department, no Rulon, only stainless bearings, and all machined deep anodized components. They are well engineered reels, and while they aren't large aspect ratio reels, they aren't wide spools. John made some of the earliest high end large arbor reels. By todays standards they are probably a mid-arbor, but they were radical at the time.

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

Quote:

Cortland has made a few good reels in it's history. The Current/Sterling were a great mid-priced ($150) large arbor machined reel. I sold hundreds of those and never had a return. The Retro reels were a great value in C & P, and the old magnum was a great entry level SW reel. But the Pro Cast was strictly a combo grade entry level reel, you're wise to step up on your Sages.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:31 PM

qec is on a distinguished road

I own 8 Lamson reels including 3 LPs, 2 Radius, 3 Velocity from size 2 to size 4. I also own about 12 other reels. Pfluegers from the late 70's all the way through the latest high end reels. Anything less then about 15" trout is brought by hand (not on the reel) so to my way of thinking this discussion is not even interesting until you get into the size 6wt type reels. I've caught a million (slight exaggeration) kings, cohos and steelhead with Lamson reels and never had an issue with how the line winds on. Single hand and two hand. Seems to me that there are reasons to be suspicious of Lamson reels but how the line winds on is not one of them. I love the Lamson reels when saltwater striper fishing due to their light weight and good drag. When you spend 5 or 6 hours casting 50, 60 , 70' casts the weight starts to matter.

Unless you are fishing for BF tuna or sharks or Marlin (and such) any of the reels mentioned in the previous posts work. Pick the one you like and enjoy it. That makes more sense to me then trying to convince someone that their reel sucks.

Quinn
Old 03-16-2014, 09:16 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

I just bought a Litespeed Hard Allox II, size 3. I am aware of the problems with barreling as I own some other Lamson reels. Given how light they are, I've begun buying a size up from the rod size I use it for. The little bit of extra weight helps to better balance the rod. I come from the camp that believes fly reels have gotten too light in many cases. The size 3 I just bought will go on a 5wt rod. This means there is extra space on the spool and fixes all problems. Given that I caught it on close out new for only $165.00, I'm pretty darn happy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
comeonavs likes this.

--Irish Blessing

Last edited by ts47; 03-18-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:35 AM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

I want to buy a spare spool for a Litespeed Hard Alox 2 in size 3. If anyone has an extra spool or reel, PM me.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

--Irish Blessing

Last edited by ts47; 03-28-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:55 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I wonder if the redesigned spool on the Litespeed Series IV might help eliminate the line tumbling problem a few people seem to have.
The backing is now channeled into the curved arbor which seems like it might help.

The Hard Alox (Type III) anodizing process Lamson uses is tougher than any finish on any reel that I'm aware of. The only reels I'm aware of to use Type III were Charlton Reels. I can attest to the durability of Type III. My first Litespeeds had easily marred finishes so the move to Type III is genius. Most reels not painted have a Type II , or decorative anodizing which takes color more readily but is thinner and less durable. Type II is generally less than .001" thick where the Type III can be up to .003" thick with half of that being into the aluminum itself.

Last edited by Jackster; 03-28-2014 at 04:21 PM.