The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 07:32 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hardy Reels

Have a look here for the current Hardy reel offerings:

The Lightweight series is nice; made in Korea, but very nice products. The St. George is made in Alnwick and the Perfect, also made there, is in fact just about perfect for the uses that I put a reel to.

The Cascapedia is also a great reel and, if you're looking for a really older look, try the external pillared Bougle.

Hardy Fly - Products - Reels

Pocono
Old 03-12-2013, 07:26 AM

derelict is on a distinguished road

I am developing a love affair with Hardy reels. Love the noise they make and the simple looks. That, and the fact that I am sure it will be around for years to come.

I bought a mint St. Aidan and spare spool. Both still in the box and never fished off of eBay for $200/ shipped. Not too shabby in my opinion. Love the reel and fits in quite nicely with my 6 weight switch (even better once I get better at two handing ). Only downside is I am used to Lamson drag and being able to really crank down. Not so on the Hardy stuff. It gets stiff but not like a modern disc or cone system.

Im now looking at another for an 8 weight. I could spool up the spare St. Aidan spool with WF8F but there will be a few times where I will be using the switch and my wife or a friend will use my 8 weight and we cannot both use the same reel. Sounds like a good excuse for another, right?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:33 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

For the past 2 weeks, I've been following up on the Lamson Velocity and Litespeed, until I saw a random Hardy reels. I clicked and now I would say forget about the Lamsons.
Don't get me wrong, the Lamsons are great, I might going to get one eventually as my back up, but for now I will go with the Hardy Ultralite 7000DD for my 7wt or 8wt.
Made in Korea yes, but at $249. I can spend the extra money for Rio fly line.