The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 08:36 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default 2013 8-Weight Challenge: Fly Reel Review

2013 8-Weight Challenge: Fly Reel Review / Trident Fly Fishing

We have been discussing the relative merits of various attributes of 8-weight saltwater fly reels recently, drag design, spool aspect ratio and price have been factors. Along in my in-box this morning came this 8-weight reel comparison from Trident Fly Fishing which employed a combination of sophisticated measurement machines and good old subjective opinion. One of my preferred reels, Nautilus NV was not included but two others, Hatch and Hardy Fortuna did receive top honers. New player, Cheeky, was very well rated as was the reel that has come up in question here a few times, Ross Fi. The subject of spool width was also addressed. Check out the write up. (I, of course, have no relationship of any kind with this outfit).
Old 03-11-2013, 08:51 AM

Gerard will become famous soon enoughGerard will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 2013 8-Weight Challenge: Fly Reel Review

S'nS

Many thanks. I've only had a quick glance but makes for interesting reading and some real (reel!! haha) surprises...Tibor Sage & Abel towards the bottom.
I need to watch the videos and have a good read.
Could lead to buyers remorse though!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:01 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Gerard, Here in the States, Consumers Report Magazine is a very influential buyers guide. They rate automobiles annually and plenty of buyers swear by their reliability recommendations. The tale goes like this; "This Ferrari Enzo is way overpriced and further more, the suspension is so low that ingress an d egress are highly inhibited; we do not recommend the Enzo". Now, I'm not shopping Ferrari either but it because assembled fly rods fail to fit in it...never be chagrined when the rod or reel that is best for you places low in a comparison. These things are all somewhat subjective and an emphasis on sealed drag assemblies was evident here. Like Anderson's shootouts, it more food for thought. I love, love, love my Loomis NRX 9'/#4 despite its poor rating in the last 4-weight shootout but I use it differently than the defined focal point of that comparison.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:40 PM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

As a self confessed Abel guy, I think they did a fairly good job with the review. The only quibble I have is with their one negative about the 7/8N, the high start up inertia. My reel needed a bit of a wear in period before the drag was butter smooth. By the nature of the design, it needs to lap itself smooth. My 7/8N was a bit notchy when it was brand new but after playing with it for a while (I couldn't put it down) the notchyness went away completely. It is hands down the smoothest drag of any reel I have owned. Older Super series reels with the anodizing on the back of the spool almost completely polished off are smoother still. I wonder how the test would have treated a slightly used reel? Other than that, I can't fault anything they stated. The Hatch is indeed a fine performing reel and anyone that has one should be proud.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:26 AM

Gerard will become famous soon enoughGerard will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Gerard, Here in the States, Consumers Report Magazine is a very influential buyers guide. They rate automobiles annually and plenty of buyers swear by their reliability recommendations. The tale goes like this; "This Ferrari Enzo is way overpriced and further more, the suspension is so low that ingress an d egress are highly inhibited; we do not recommend the Enzo". Now, I'm not shopping Ferrari either but it because assembled fly rods fail to fit in it...never be chagrined when the rod or reel that is best for you places low in a comparison. These things are all somewhat subjective and an emphasis on sealed drag assemblies was evident here. Like Anderson's shootouts, it more food for thought. I love, love, love my Loomis NRX 9'/#4 despite its poor rating in the last 4-weight shootout but I use it differently than the defined focal point of that comparison.
S'nS
Couldn't agree more. In the UK the magazine is called "Which?".

I note what Grouch said and think it is fair comment that it might be better to used slightly used products for testing (maybe they were demo units?). It is a bit like in the audio world when they review equipment, Stereophile and the likes, either expect the amps, speakers etc to be "burnt in" i.e. used for some extended time 100hours plus or do the "burn in" themselves. I can appreciate the need for the cork drag reels need some time to "burn in" maybe it is not so imperative on the sealed carbon based drags?
Old 03-13-2013, 07:49 AM

The neatsfoot oil that the cork disc is treated with may well increase start-up inertia until broken in. I have noted that when I apply a few fresh drops of this necessary cork treatment that there is a bit of stickiness initially. Without it though the cork surface can glaze and alternately lock up or let go. I have lost fish to this in a non Abel cork drag reel which I am going to write about in another thread this morning. And yes, Hatch is a terrific reel on multiple levels and second place Fortuna is excellent as well.

---------- Post added at 06:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 AM ----------

In the "other" version of this thread under "General Discussions", I wrote some observations about the Reel Chalange, if you are interested in additional critique.