The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 07:36 AM

derelict is on a distinguished road
Default Reel Idea...

Im looking at reels to put on my single hand 8 weight. I have a St. Aidan that I really like and use mostly on my switch but there will be times where I am going to be using the switch and my wife, father or someone else will be chasing largemouth, shad or stripers next to me. We cannot both use the same reel so Im on the hunt for a good deal on, probably, another older Hardy. I know that there are better drag systems out there but the ability to rebuild and durability of the Hardys appeals to me.

While doing this, I had a thought. Has there ever been a reel with interchangeable spools that can handle, say, everything from a 4 weight up to maybe 9? With alloys, bearings and drag systems being self contained, why couldnt the reel act as the receiver for multiple different spool sizes? That way, you could buy one receiver and then just buy a spool for a 4/5/6 for a trout day and then slap on, to the same receiver, a 7/8/9 spool for a salt day? Does this exist?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:10 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Reel Idea...

There was a rel like that, the first generation Charlton had multiple arbor size spools in light weight, beatifully engeered and machined housing. Good luck finding one.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 AM

So, why doesnt this exist anymore? CNC machining is cheap. With a good choice in alloy and a strong spindle, a variety of sizes could be made to fit.

I guess no one wants to do this because they make more selling a 4/5/6 reel and a 7/8/9 reel to the same person?
Old 03-12-2013, 10:01 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

One way to do it is to buy an 8/9 reel with a spare spool and load the spare with your 4 or 5wt line and a boat load of backing to make up the difference. Probably not what you're talking about but it would work
fredaevans likes this.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:35 PM

lil_man72 is on a distinguished road

abel makes the reel your talking about wanting. you can put a standard spool and a mid arbor spool on the same frame.
leithel likes this.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:19 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_man72 View Post
abel makes the reel your talking about wanting. you can put a standard spool and a mid arbor spool on the same frame.
What he said. Check out the Super Series from Abel. As for a newer model, you may want to look at the Super 6N (narrow). As a large arbor, it is more of a 5/6/7 reel. In a standard arbor, it is more like a 7/8/9.

Dennis
Old 03-18-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
What he said. Check out the Super Series from Abel. As for a newer model, you may want to look at the Super 6N (narrow). As a large arbor, it is more of a 5/6/7 reel. In a standard arbor, it is more like a 7/8/9.

Dennis
Thats exactly what I was looking for. Awesome. Now, since its Abel, I just need to save up... I want something that can handle a spool for 5/6/7 and then 7/8/9. Sweet!

Thanks guys
Old 03-18-2013, 06:39 AM

kalgrm will become famous soon enoughkalgrm will become famous soon enough

A Solitude 4 would also fit the bill, but maybe taking it all the way to a 9 might be tough. Solitude have a "mid arbor" and a "large arbor" spool for their reels.

I've got a Solitude 5, which is supposed to be a 9 to 11, but amongst today's true large arbor reels, their offering really only reduces the line capacity of their reels. It doesn't make the spool large enough to be a proper large arbor reel.

I would really call the Solitude 5 a 7-9 weight reel with a large capacity of backing when the mid arbor spool is fitted. Fit the large arbour, and you could run it down to 5 wt if you wanted to, but it might be a little heavy on a 4 weight rod

Cheers,
Graeme
mountainangler likes this.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:39 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Saw an Abel Super 6 FlexAbelity kit on eBay. It comes with a Super 6 reel frame, a large arbor spool, and a standard spool.

The Super 6 was discontinued and replaced with the Super 6n. The older Super 6 is a tenth of an inch taller and a hair heavier. Other than that, the capacities are about the same.

Dennis

Edit: You may see a Super 6 Standard Arbor reel referred to as a Big Game 3N (narrow). Back in the day, standard arbor reels were part of the Big Game reels, and large arbor reels were in the Super Series. A few years back, Abel decided to merge the Big Game reels into the Super Series.

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 03-18-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:50 PM

leithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura about

I have two Abel reels that i purchased from Stillwater Fly Shop in Oregon. Great customer service. Free $100 fly line with the purchase of an Abel reel.
Good luck with your purchase.
Fred