The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 07:23 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What is the best trout fly reel ever made?

Bogdan period !!! Orvis CFO had their problems they were cast they had metal flaking issues.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:41 PM

leithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura about

This has to be the best, it has trout in the name.

Click the image to open in full size.
MoscaPescador, cletus and grouch like this.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:37 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

Best is indeed in the eye (or hand) of the beholder. I have Galvan Torques and Abel Creeks. Different reels entirely but they serve me well
leithel likes this.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:20 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

I'm gonna say either the Ross Evolution, not the new Evo LT I don't like that series at all, or the Sage 2550 with the carbon fiber spool. Upper hand goes to the Ross for being made in America!

Randy
Old 03-13-2013, 11:58 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Now that's a very hard Question to answer as I've many Brands including Hardy's,Allen,Baeur,Ross, Scienentific Angler,Airflo,White River & the list goes on,after all Really they only hold The Line,some have so called Sophisticated Braking Systems ?????
Even though I don't own own one The Ari T Hart Reels are propably The Sleekest, Most Sort After Reels By Collectors,I can't remember how many I've bid on & missed out on Ebay,most have gone for big money.
Also you now see where Sellers recognise they bring The Big Dollars & put them up with Phenominal Price Tags.
Brian
Old 03-14-2013, 06:50 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout champ View Post
I'm gonna say either the Ross Evolution..
Randy
+1

Better even because I got mine on closeout..

It's going to depend on if you like clicks, you fish fresh or salt, etc

The Medalist - i have a few of them? Just becuase they are/were popular doesn't make them good, they're just cheap - lol, sort of like a Yugo
Old 03-14-2013, 07:04 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

It's a cold morning here in the North East, I'll bite:

1. Spring&Pawl: A handmade Stan Bogdan is the best I've ever seen or, for a factory reel; the CFO (designed by Stan but not loved by him latter) or Abel Creek

2. Exotic Reel: I suppose Ari't Hart's reels, made by him in his home in Holland, are the finest trout reels on the Planet. Oh, little Abel Supers are terrific and my wife loves her German Vosseler and I wish I had bought one of Jack Charlon's first generation reels and my buddy loves his Sarcione...but Ari trumps them all.

3. Readily available and reasonably priced: I fish Nautilus FWX and Hardy Ultralite DD reels and find both to be totally reliable, fine tunable, smooth pleasures to fish with. the U DD has an extra unusual advantage; the incremental size differences between models makes it reasonable to achieve exactly the balance you strive for with any trout rod.

A Brace of Harts

Bogdan Spring&Pawl Trout
Old 03-14-2013, 07:12 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Abel Creek #2 Large Arbor
Old 03-14-2013, 09:03 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Riptide nailed it with the most underrated reel sold.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:12 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

If you want to impress people with what you can spend on the 'latest and greatest',,the selection is small. If you want to catch fish,,,,,,,,,,,lots of good reels out there.

I think it's probably a round question.