The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 09:18 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the best trout fly reel ever made?

I have several good reels, CFO, Abel, Fin Nor, Hardy but my favorite is the Orvis Battenkill Disc...Just a sweet little reel, palm or use the drag your choice.

Dave
ctyslcr likes this.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:44 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
lol, sort of like a Yugo
no....dh, not like a Yugo...that's mean. Medalists work and have better resale value :-) Obviously not the best reel ever made, but more like a chevy truck than a yugo
glacierjohn likes this.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:56 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
no....dh, not like a Yugo...that's mean. Medalists work and have better resale value :-) Obviously not the best reel ever made, but more like a chevy truck than a yugo
lol - yes - that's better - but it has to be the cheapest chevy truck made

I think the Medalists used to cost < $20? - and they're still worth that

If you could go into a shop - all the reels cost the same - would you really pick a Medalist today?

Last edited by dhayden; 03-14-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:02 AM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

for me it would have to be the Allen Trout reel!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:05 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Best is REALLY subjective...my favorite(S) would probably be:

Ari T Hart Reels
Hardy Reels - the ones made in England
Tibor Reels and esp. the no longer made - Freestone

PT/TB
smilingduck likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 03-14-2013, 10:46 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

There's a reason why Medalists from as far back as the '30s are still around and still still in use today.
And it's not because they were cheap.
mrfzx, wt bash, kwb and 1 others like this.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

There's one thing I'm sure of...it doesn't often happen...the best automatic reel ever made is the Cordel...everyone agrees about that
Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread
Old 03-14-2013, 11:37 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
There's a reason why Medalists from as far back as the '30s are still around and still still in use today.
And it's not because they were cheap.
Ok - the owners are cheap

I'll stick with this:

If you could go into a shop - all the reels cost the same - would you really pick a Medalist today?
Old 03-14-2013, 11:54 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
Ok - the owners are cheap
I'll stick with this:
Well actually they don't make them anymore.
I use Medalists because I like them. I fish fresh water with my vintage fiberglass most of the time and they happen to go together. So I suppose the answer to your question is yes, that's what I prefer.

Not everyone has the same tastes. I haven't bought a new factory-built fly rod for around 25 years and the last reel that I bought was a ... Medalist.
My latest rod purchase was a Heddon 7wt that cost $5 and I can't wait to try it.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:13 PM

It's funny how different gear appeals to everyone

I threw my Medalists in the used reel box long ago.. and haven't touched them again.. funny, probably about the time I relegated my fiberglass rods to the back of the rod box.. probably been 25 years since I've even taken them out of thier cases
I hate reels that 'click' when you strip line, others love that

Like dry flies vs wet, vs streamers
Graphite vs glass vs bamboo
1 handers vs 2 handers
vests vs packs
(list probably huge)

I think this all makes fly fishing fun, the differernt way people approach it

lol - I like the Heddon rod purchase!