The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 12:19 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: What is the best trout fly reel ever made?

Here is the Charlton 8450c. I didn't buy one when they were new at an expensive $400...now, when I looked on the web to find this image, they go for a couple of grand. SA bought the rights to make these reel from Jack Charlton but they never did it. Having bought Ross, they likely never will. When he could, Charlton went on to build the Mako line of reels but never developed a trout reel to compare to this seminal piece if beautiful work. My buddy Frank had one but it is laying in the bottom of the Beaverhead, by now buried under years of shifting stone and gravel (unless someone found it and never turned it in). Never having owned one, I can't call it a favorite but I would rate it as one of the best trout fly reels ever.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:53 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

IMHO, I tend to value or rate my gear based on the amount of enjoyment that I derive from using it and will sometimes get as much if not more enjoyment from gear that has cost far less than some of high end, name brand gear I have in my collection. Some in the sport (as in other sports) go to great lengths and a small fortune to have the best, only to find that it hasn't made them any better. The best is always around the corner and yet to be invented.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:02 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

In all but the few exceptional blue ribbon wild trout habitats, we are not pursuing fish that are going to rip us into the backing and challenge the performance capabilities of our 5-weight and smaller reels. Hence the enthusiasm among many of us for simple, classically elegant, spring and pawl reels. Even trout reels with strong drags are rarely set much stouter than the click check in the spring and pawls so as to protect our fine tippets. If tackle is going to positively effect my trout fishing experience it is much more likely to be the casting attributes of my rod and comfortable and dry waders. I like a trout reel with a smooth subtly adjustable drag because I fish several larger rivers but mostly employ practical reasonably priced reels. Yes, I have some great ones and some junkers too and have caught fish on all of them. But the question this thread asks is not our personal preferences, historical relevance or even our favorites...it is, "What is the BEST trout fly reel ever made?"
Old 03-14-2013, 02:26 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i once had a chance to look at a ross san miguel and, although i never
got to use it, i would say it's gotta be near the top.
incredible craftsmanship.

ARFE
Old 03-14-2013, 02:34 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
. But the question this thread asks is not our personal preferences, historical relevance or even our favorites...it is, "What is the BEST trout fly reel ever made?"
As far as I'm concerned, "highest quality" is not the end all when determining what's "best".
I think most of us find our favorite trout reels to be "effective", "suitable" and "pleasant" to use.
Quote:
BEST...(definition)
....used for referring to the person or thing that is the most satisfactory, suitable, pleasant, effective, of the highest quality etc
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:35 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

S & S I would have to disagree with the last line of your recent post. I didn't take the question to mean the best "produced" reel ever made. I doubt that anyone here could answer that question in that light (no insult intended) unless they had tried and given every reel ever produced a fair assessment. How is it possible to place judgement on anything you do not have personal knowledge of. On the other hand anyone can offer a fair and personal opinion (preference) on any of the equipment they have had and or used and IMHO aesthetics and price do come into play when forming one's opinion. And that is the way I took the question to mean.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:46 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutchaser8 View Post
in your opinion, is the best trout fly reel ever made?
The Pflueger Medalist 1494 or 95 30's era with click and pawl (spring and pawl). Simple, no nonsense reel that has caught billions of fish. No complex drag to fuss with no worries if the enamel finish wears out ( I like them more that way) simple classy and tough as nails.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:23 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
Bogdan period !!! Orvis CFO had their problems they were cast they had metal flaking issues.
Agree. For craftmanship, a Bogdan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/03/sp...gdan.html?_r=0

For mass produced reels, a Ross San Miguel. Watch to see what the ones below bring.

Ross Reels San Miguel 2 | eBay

RARE 25th Aniversary Ross San Miguel Reel Includes Original Paperwork and Box | eBay

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-14-2013, 04:55 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
The Pflueger Medalist
The single most popular fly reel of all time.

I really want to get me one of these, just to have and fish and know what it's all about. I have several Ross reels, and a couple of Hardy CFO Orvis reels, but I have to say that the best trout reel is whatever you say it is.

My Ross Canyon 2 is heavy (relative to my others), and doesn't have the most drag settings, but it's the first one I bought with my own hard-earned money when I started to branch out form my dad's enormous supply of gear, and I've probably caught more trout on it than any of my others, so I'd say its the best.

I'm willing to bet that no one else who responds to this thread would say that the Ross Canyon is the best trout reel ever made, but it is to me for what it will always mean to me and for the fish it's caught

Not a fan of the "fish on the bank" pics, but I was careful to keep this guy on my rubber-basket net, he was too pretty not to get a pic, it just kinda happened this way and I still love this pic

Old 03-15-2013, 11:22 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
The Pflueger Medalist
The single most popular fly reel of all time.

+1

Built for something like 70 years. I've some that are close to 60 years of that. Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, fresh water, or salt .... only thing that changed was the size of the reel being used. Only once did I have one fold up on me ... and I had a hell of a King Salmon on the end of my line at the time.

fae
wt bash likes this.