The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 04:48 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What is the best trout fly reel ever made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalker1013 View Post
I really want to get me one of these, just to have and fish and know what it's all about. I have several Ross reels, and a couple of Hardy CFO Orvis reels, but I have to say that the best trout reel is whatever you say it is.

My Ross Canyon 2 is heavy (relative to my others), and doesn't have the most drag settings, but it's the first one I bought with my own hard-earned money when I started to branch out form my dad's enormous supply of gear, and I've probably caught more trout on it than any of my others, so I'd say its the best.

I'm willing to bet that no one else who responds to this thread would say that the Ross Canyon is the best trout reel ever made, but it is to me for what it will always mean to me and for the fish it's caught

Not a fan of the "fish on the bank" pics, but I was careful to keep this guy on my rubber-basket net, he was too pretty not to get a pic, it just kinda happened this way and I still love this pic

Click the image to open in full size.
I also like Ross canyon reels have 5 in different sizes and some extra spools.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:36 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
+1

Built for something like 70 years. I've some that are close to 60 years of that. Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, fresh water, or salt .... only thing that changed was the size of the reel being used. Only once did I have one fold up on me ... and I had a hell of a King Salmon on the end of my line at the time.

fae
I think you have to pick one.. 1494.. whatever.. but not a whole line.. lol
Old 03-16-2013, 04:45 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

My best Trout reel? J.Ryall. Too bad they went out of business or that would be all I own

Although I am fast becoming an Abel fan.
Pete
cw76 likes this.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:48 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I still have to go with Charlton. They had a self-adjusting carbon drag system that was sealed. They used Type III anodizing and were whittled to extremely tight tolerances.
The spool widths were a near perfect blend between too wide and too narrow and each frame accepted different spools. I give them the nod for trout reels but just have to mention some of the things that set his larger reels apart from the field.
To remove the larger spools a nickel-silver (I think) medallion was depressed and turned that activated catches much like the irises on a camera shutter. There are definately are other ways to release and capture a spool but none as clever.
On the very large spools used for salt water fishing Jack Charlton even had cooling fins machined right into the bar stock spools.
Charlton reels didn't always cost an arm and a leg... maybe a big toe or pinky finger but once the genius of his work caught on a mega-corp up in MN made him an offer he couldn't refuse and soon after spit his company out likely for not turning a huge profit in a quarter or two (read that: new-age business think) When he was no longer allowed to build reels for several long years (no compete clause?) the prices started shooting up big time. If you caught them at the time the dealers for that mega-corp in MN were blowing them out, you did well indeed especially if you held on to them for a while.
Mr. Charlton was a pure genius and artist with metal and will be sorely missed. R.I.P. Jack.
mrfzx likes this.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:42 PM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

The best depends on where you are fishing and what the quarry is. For trout in the Yellowstone or Madison, fishing big indicator rigs, there is a reel that is better than what I use when I'm up on the far end of the North Branch fishing tricos for 8" brookies. Fortunately, most of the reel makers have a model that will work for both situations. So, my favorite reel manufacturers are Abel, Hardy, and Ross. Any of their reels, matched to the situation, are the best for that time and place.
glacierjohn likes this.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Me, me, I know, I know Click the image to open in full size.

I thought I knew but then I can't do this with a single answer; any of the Pflueger Medalist reels, the Orvis Battenkill reels early ones made by Pflueger and then by Hardy and BFR. The Orvis CFO reels were hard to beat and I still use them as well as my Hardy reels from the Lightweight series.

In other words there are many of the best trout reels made, I tend to focus on older issue reels because they were the ones with tens of thousands of users.

I guess I left out all those Hardy Perfect users, Hardy made the first in 1891 and are still producing them. They are as smooth as it can get in a closed cage reel I think.

Obviously I can't answer the question

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-12-2013, 12:36 AM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about

I had many a trout on the medalist 1492. I caught my first fish with a fly that I had tied on one...Then the Ross gunnison came around oooahhh, fantastic reels. Now it's an Abel creek, very nice. What's next? Time will tell. So I guess my favorite trout reel is a moment in time, as kid, as a man, hopefully as an old man; A tool which brings me joy and peace, A pew in my church of life.
Hardyreels and wineshark like this.

Last edited by cw76; 04-12-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:47 AM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

Lot's of good discussion here. I have owned a few reels for my trout rods, and for the past 10 years when I need a new one I don't shop brands, I just look for the appropriate Abel to match the rod and use.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:54 PM

robert_nguyen is on a distinguished road

It really comes down to personal preference BUT I love my Galvan Torques!
Old 04-14-2013, 08:57 PM

ultralightidaho is on a distinguished road

I really like my Lamson reels as well as Sage reels recently.