The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: What is the best trout fly reel ever made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sageandonion View Post
Originally Posted by Hardyreels
Looking through the thread brings a point to mind; possibly the best made were the ones copied the most by other (newer) manufacturers.

Good point. Not sure what the top ten best trout reels of all time are, but I'd put half a dozen Hardy's in there.
I figure the Hardy Lightweight Series, the Pflueger Medalist Series and the CFO reels sold by Orvis have the most reels in circulation at this time. I think the CFO reels are the smoothest reels I've ever used for trout fishing, couple the machining with the classic looks and they are a pleasure to own and use.

Ard
imxer and fly_guy12955 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-15-2013, 09:57 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by enolaeagle View Post
Not the best reel ever made BUT you cant beat the sound of it going nuts when you hook a big one
Click the image to open in full size.
I'm partial to MIUSA Martin tuna cans, too. I learned to fly fish back in college using a 61 I got for $6 at Wal-Mart. Still works good as new.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:14 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Love my Orvis CFO but when I factor in price I've got to say the Battenkill Bar Stock. Haven't tried the new Battenkill.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:14 AM

rudolf hukka is on a distinguished road

My personal favourites are Ari'T Hart reels, I've collected/used them over the last 20+ years. I've created an album of most of them in my settings
Rudolf
Old 09-16-2013, 04:50 AM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

My favorite...the Hardy Perfect, second would be a Hardy Lightweight, especially the two screw version and last but not least..what else another Hardy, the Uniqua with a telephone latch. Hardy, Hardy, Hardy!!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:44 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote here for the Hardy Perfect.

Pocono
Old 09-16-2013, 07:54 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I figure the Hardy Lightweight Series, the Pflueger Medalist Series and the CFO reels sold by Orvis have the most reels in circulation at this time. I think the CFO reels are the smoothest reels I've ever used for trout fishing, couple the machining with the classic looks and they are a pleasure to own and use.

Ard
They made them for 70 years? Hardies probably even longer? You take them apart and there's almost nothing inside. Damned things just work.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:09 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
It's a cold morning here in the North East, I'll bite:

1. Spring&Pawl: A handmade Stan Bogdan is the best I've ever seen or, for a factory reel; the CFO (designed by Stan but not loved by him latter) or Abel Creek

2. Exotic Reel: I suppose Ari't Hart's reels, made by him in his home in Holland, are the finest trout reels on the Planet. Oh, little Abel Supers are terrific and my wife loves her German Vosseler and I wish I had bought one of Jack Charlon's first generation reels and my buddy loves his Sarcione...but Ari trumps them all.

3. Readily available and reasonably priced: I fish Nautilus FWX and Hardy Ultralite DD reels and find both to be totally reliable, fine tunable, smooth pleasures to fish with. the U DD has an extra unusual advantage; the incremental size differences between models makes it reasonable to achieve exactly the balance you strive for with any trout rod.

A Brace of Harts

Bogdan Spring&Pawl Trout
I posted this last March and am sticking to it but will add to my #3 category that Galvan's "Torque" series, in trout sizes, have made it onto this list after a season fishing a T-6 and appreciating its build quality and performance.

Galvan T-6 with NRX #4 on the lower Beaverhead
winstonwt likes this.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:06 AM

aidansdad is on a distinguished road

Sorry I am jumping in late with this. My favorite of all time? Paul Hermann baby or large trout. I use them both regularly (as often as I can get on the water); both have a fantastic outgoing click and amazing tolerances, made by a skilled craftsman.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:15 AM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Hardy LRH Lightweight. I thought everyone knew that.
troutnut4 likes this.