The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gt05254

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 04:50 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Orvis Battenkill mid arbor V (7wt question)

For those of you that read my endless posts about owning nothing but small rods for chasing trout on UL gear, I broke the mold today.

If you were me what would you do

I am on travel for business and was able to pick up a BNIB Battenkill Mid Arbor V. This is for 9/10 wts but for the price I couldn't pass it up. I've been thinking of getting a 7 or 8 weight for fishing fall lake run browns or throwing big streamers on a drift boat trip I am dreaming of. Well I got this reel for $50 and I figured why not. It may be rated for 9-10wt line but that won't hurt it if I throw 7 or 8 wt line on it.

So 2 questions

1) sell it and try to make a few bucks or keep it as a good cheap way to get a bigger setup to use a few times a year

2) I currently have a tip flex Orvis Hydros 6 wt , so should I get a 7 or 8 wt to compliment it. Thinking TFO BVK just so I don't break the bank.

Any overall input on the reel as I've never had a Orvis reel
Old 03-13-2013, 05:50 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orvis Battenkill mid arbor V (7wt question)

I think you kind of answered your own question, but perhaps it's my interpretation of it.

If you are looking for a reel to use for a few trout trips a year at best, you'll be hard pressed to find a better reel for that price. I own a MA II and fished with a MA IV. Good reels for the regular price, sale prices are even better. Even though it's rated for a larger wt rod, I suspect you'll be OK. Take it with you and see how it balances. If it just doesn't work, then you could always sell it.

Assuming it works, put the money you saved on the reel purchase into a rod and call it a day.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:03 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
I think you kind of answered your own question, but perhaps it's my interpretation of it.

If you are looking for a reel to use for a few trout trips a year at best, you'll be hard pressed to find a better reel for that price. I own a MA II and fished with a MA IV. Good reels for the regular price, sale prices are even better. Even though it's rated for a larger wt rod, I suspect you'll be OK. Take it with you and see how it balances. If it just doesn't work, then you could always sell it.

Assuming it works, put the money you saved on the reel purchase into a rod and call it a day.

Cool thanks, I just didn't know much about these and how solid the drags are. If all goes according to plan I hope to get in to 28" + browns. Not knowing much I figured for $50 give it a shot....heck I spent that much on nippers for crying out loud.

Looks like I will be on the hunt for a good used 8wt or a new TFO BVK ( or similar)
Old 03-13-2013, 06:16 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I still own a few BK mid-arbors. The drag will stop a train if you ask it to. I always used the V on my 9 wts, the IV on 7's and 8's. The V will likely be a little heavy on the 7wt and even on some 8's. Used, they are fetching about 125 most places.

For 50 bucks, I'd hang onto it til you ramp up to a 9wt. You'll not run into that deal again. Have fun.
Gary
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:26 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Here a few things to consider.

Advantages
1. Due to larger diameter, the retrieval rate is faster.
2. Larger backing capacity.

Disadvantage
1. Sometimes the extra mass could make the rod feel butt end heavy.

With that said, I know some guys who use 9/10 reels on their 8 weights. They are happy with their rigs.

Dennis
Old 03-13-2013, 07:29 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Better to go by how much capacity you need to hold your desired amount of backing and your particular line than to rely on the manufacturer's standard rating. 200 yd of 30-lb backing and a long DT floating line will need a bigger spool than 100 yd of 20-lb backing and a shorter sinking line.

I have a BMA V with a WF8 saltwater line and plenty of backing on it. No problem. If you're going after fish that will take you deep into the backing, it's ideal. (In fact, it came from Orvis already set up that way as part of an 8 weight outfit that was provided with an Orvis-sponsored "learn to bonefish" trip my father took. So even Orvis is flexible about the line rating.)

I also have a "brand X" no-name mid-arbor reel that is slightly bigger than the BMA V but rated as a 7/8, so it's all pretty subjective anyway.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:56 PM

Thanks guys, as always you are all a huge help

Even though the reel is rated for 9-10 I am not worried as stated earlier. For the value I couldn't pass it up plus the faster line retrieval mentioned as well. The reel weighs 6.6oz which is in line with other manufactures mid range reel such as the Lamson Guru for a 8wt. The Evolutions and Nautilus reels are in the 4.5oz range which is a lot of difference. For the $ savings I can deal with 2oz difference.

Now to find a deal on a good 8wt that will be a good progression up from my fast 6wt.

Hoping to have a good solid setup for under $350 all in. I don't mind spending $1,000 for a set up I use alot but for one I will use sporadically I am choosing to be more practical.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:30 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I frequently disregard reel's recommended line weight capacity. This reel will be fine on most 8-weight rods. Use as much #30 Dacron as you can get on there; the more backing the bigger the arbor.