The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 03:20 PM
sbreech

Default Re: New rod..Check. New reel....

Nautilus gets my nod out of the ones listed.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:18 PM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road

I have a Ross Evolution LT on my Scott S4 6wt, and it has been really good for me. I live and fish in Colorado, so it is fun to have an all Colorado made reel and rod. The only complaint I have about the Evolution is when I have it wound in becuase I am walking, sometimes the tippet or leader gets under the spool and I have to pull the spool off part way and fix it. Not sure if the gaps between the frame and spool are wider then my other reels, but never had this issue with my other reels.

I don't think you can go wrong with those that you listed, but I would agree that the Lamson's tend to not take the abuse as well. If I had to do it over again, I would probably go with a Hatch reel. I had one on my 4wt, but decided it was topo heavy and way overkill, but on the 6wt, especially a fast 6wt like the One or S4, a more robust drag then the Evolution seems beneficial.

Not sure where in Colorado you are, but you may want to use the 6wt for small to medium sized Carp and that is where the strong drag can be really nice. Just my two cents though. Never owned a Nautilus but hear good things and the Galvan is a winner for sure.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:26 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of
Default New rod..Check. New reel....

Nautilus (I have the NV for my steelhead reel) or Hatch Finatic get my vote(s).
Old 03-20-2013, 05:58 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

For the record, Nautilus NV is in as different a league as FWX as Ross F1 is from...the rest of Ross reels. But now we are into Abel and Hatch territory which is more costly. However, when, as I do, you run your leader around the circumference of your reel and affix the fly to an upper guide, run it on the far side of the reel so as to avoid its slipping into the gap (should it exist) between spool and frame.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:26 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
For the record, Nautilus NV is in as different a league as FWX as Ross F1 is from...the rest of Ross reels. But now we are into Abel and Hatch territory which is more costly.
Understandably so...I was just making a generalization in the fact that I like Nautilus and use their products even though only the FWX is being considered.

I'll try the spool thing...never even crossed my mind to do it that way.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:36 PM

taylor16 will become famous soon enough

Bauer CFX Mackenzie is what I pair with my Winston 6wt, 9' BIIIX. Feels, performs and looks great!
Old 03-21-2013, 06:20 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
I like my Galvin, but I had some issues with the spool, deciding to drop out once in a great while, now it's a backup

I have a Lamson ULA Force 3, extremely light.. it far more durable than I could have imagined. Never an issue with it - had it for about 10 years.

Ross - only have an Evolution - great products

Nautilus - still on my list to check out

Like most things there is no best, just how it suits you
I would seriously contact them and get a new reel, you must have a one in a million lemon or something. Used Galvan Torque reels more than anything else over the past few years, never once had an issue.

They are good people, just call them.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:50 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Ghocevar, On your NV there is a unique feature that I like a lot. Threaded into the reel foot on the drag knob side of the reel is a small red post. Bringing your leader around the circumference of the reel, pass it over the post which precludes it from slipping off the flat shoulders of the reel. Hence, not only will it not slip into any spool/frame gap but won't slip off the shoulder either. A design detail from people designing reels who actually fish with them.

KWB, I am intrigued by Galvan reels in part because of your and other knowledgeable members of this forum's endorsement. There are design features I see illustrated on their web site that I wonder about; the circular pawl spring and push-button spool release (I prefer a captive, threaded spool release over push-button or leaver and spring type). As, regrettably, they do not attend the Somerset Show, it is hard for me to get to know their product well enough to give it a try. So I have written to them via e-mail a few weeks ago with several relevant questions and have yet to receive a response. I don't mind the phone but before I get personal I like to have something to speak with them about. A small company ignoring an e-mail inquiry is not a good sign in this hotly contested reel market.
ghocevar likes this.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:25 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Call... You can literally speak to the guy who designs and builds the reels...

I have never known any of the reel manufacturers to be very good about answering emails that don't pertain to an issue that needs to be resolved...

That being said, I always had my emails responded to within a couple days from Galvan...
Old 04-16-2013, 10:12 PM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

You've probably long since gotten a reel, but in case you haven't, don't overlook the Hardys. You can find either disk or C/P reels in the classifieds or the auction sites. They are well built, long-lasting reels that hold their value and the fish.