The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 11:01 PM

coloradocaddis970 will become famous soon enough
Default New rod..Check. New reel....

I have gotten great input from all of you guys about a 6wt primary streamer rod. Now I'm looking for some advice on the reel aspect of it all. I know a reel is just a nice line holder that has some function, but i want it to bring the whole package together...asthetically and functionally. I'm looking to pair something to my new 6wt ONE. Ive narrowed the gap to the Lamson Speedster, The Ross EVO LT3 and the Nautilus FWX 5/6. Do any of you have experience with any of them? Looking for reviews both positive and negative. If there any other choices that i may have over looked, key me in on those as well.

Primary use: Targeting territorial browns and bows with streamers on the upper and lower Colorado River, and making friends jealous.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:38 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New rod..Check. New reel....

I have the Nautilus FW5+. The one complaint I have is that my spare spools don't fit/preform as nicely as the spool it came with. It is also a fairly hefty reel. That being said, if I did it again I would have tried to pick up an original Ross Evo or a Sage 4560.

I have a Ross EVO LT 1.5 that I rarely use because I think it's ugly. I have also had a problem with the reel free spooling in extremely cold conditions. Not sure why and my local fly shop said that have seen rare cases of this especially if there is any moisture in the reel.

I do not own any Lamson reels, so no insight there. One of my fly fishing mentors swears by them though.

Hope that help
Randy
Old 03-20-2013, 12:47 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Of the reels that you listed, I am partial to the Lamson Speedster. The reel is built light. That should balance very well with a light rod like the Sage One. The conical style drag is very reliable for the large trout that you will be stalking. It starts up smoothly to protect light tippets. Also the drag covers a large range. Its tall and skinny dimensions make for a very fast line retrieval rate.

Even though most of my other reels are from another brand, I have been fishing Lamson since 2003. My first Lamson that I purchased was a Litespeed 3. The reel and its spare spool have streamer lines on them that I use on trout, American Shad, Steelhead, and Striped Bass. I also have a ULA Force 3x SL that I use on my 8 weight on Striped Bass and American Shad.

My only gripe with Waterworks and Lamsons is the durability. The reels are machined so thin that the spools can be bent. It will happen usually from being dropped or being banged around in a boat.

Dennis
Old 03-20-2013, 12:56 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
My only gripe with Waterworks and Lamsons is the durability. The reels are machined so thin that the spools can be bent. It will happen usually from being dropped or being banged around in a boat.

Dennis
Sounds like what I was talking about with the quest to be the lightest is having an adverse effect on quality. Marketing hype driving things in a bad direction.

The only thing on your list I have, is a few Ross reels. I have not had a problem with them so far. I like them and the drags have been smooth and reliable. In fact in the reel shootout just posted on the forum, they gave the Ross the best drag in the bunch if I remember right.
kwb likes this.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:41 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Galvan Torque Size 6

It would be a no brainer for me to choose the Galvan...
Old 03-20-2013, 08:09 AM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

Ditto kwb!
Old 03-20-2013, 08:21 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I like my Galvin, but I had some issues with the spool, deciding to drop out once in a great while, now it's a backup

I have a Lamson ULA Force 3, extremely light.. it far more durable than I could have imagined. Never an issue with it - had it for about 10 years.

Ross - only have an Evolution - great products

Nautilus - still on my list to check out

Like most things there is no best, just how it suits you
Old 03-20-2013, 08:26 AM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

If you haven't already, I would contact Galvan, they'd make it right. Great customer service. No experience with the other reels
Old 03-20-2013, 08:39 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

From your list the Nautilus is the quality choice in my experience. My only concern is that he FWX 5/6 is a tad light on my ONE #5...You might consider the 7/8. Of course, if you seriously want to make your buds jealous you could consider the Hatch.
sbreech likes this.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:19 AM

coloradocaddis970 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
From your list the Nautilus is the quality choice in my experience. My only concern is that he FWX 5/6 is a tad light on my ONE #5...You might consider the 7/8. Of course, if you seriously want to make your buds jealous you could consider the Hatch.
If i was going for complete domination in jealousy id go Abel, with a nice brown trout finish...... my pockets wont go deep enough for that type of jealousy though.
chi flyfisher likes this.