The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 08:54 AM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice
Default Re: 4 wt reel

yeah i saw them on facebook. they are having a intro price on the reels...$85!!!
Old 04-10-2013, 10:58 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

Saw a few pro comments for okuma, that I could not endorse.

Only rod I ever had that snapped while practice casting in the back yard was a Okuma. Reel wise any one who like the trio, has not experimented with the competitors offerings. If they did, it would not be reviewed well.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:11 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

dude.....,
the new allen ats reels are sweet!
and i actually support this site
ATS Reel Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store

casey
bmbailes likes this.

ARFE
Old 04-10-2013, 11:34 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

I'm not sure about the new Allens, but the old ones are also kind off "sweet".
Old 04-11-2013, 12:04 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by charged View Post
I'm not sure about the new Allens, but the old ones are also kind off "sweet".
yes, the allen reels that i've owned........both old and new are not only "sweet"...but outstanding!!....

casey

ARFE
Old 04-11-2013, 12:25 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by charged View Post
Saw a few pro comments for okuma, that I could not endorse.

Only rod I ever had that snapped while practice casting in the back yard was a Okuma. Reel wise any one who like the trio, has not experimented with the competitors offerings. If they did, it would not be reviewed well.
I can't speak for their rods... But the SLV and Integrity are two very good reels that can be had on the auction site for under $50 on a good day...
Old 04-11-2013, 04:06 AM

ohiohunter is on a distinguished road

I ordered an Allen Ats thanks guys

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-12-2013, 05:30 PM

After reading my comments today, I realize I was being hard headed. That was not what I intended. I admit, my impression of okuma products overall has been soured by a few personnel experiences. Today, It's still hard for me to not view them as not cheap alternatives to superior products.

My comment on Allen, should have read that I have a past model of Allen reel that I like very much. I have personally never used the newest offerings, so can't comment on them. After reading my impressions on Okuma products, one may also think I'm not happy with Allen....That statement would not be true! I'm just not able to comment on the newer Allen reels, because I've never used one. I'f I needed a new reel, I'd purchase another Allen without any hesitation.

In addition to fly fishing, I also float fish on occasion. My nicest float fishing reel, is indeed a Okuma. If the fly fishing reels offered also reflect the same value presented in their float fishing reels, I would have been smart to just keep my trap shut in the first place..
Old 04-12-2013, 05:55 PM

ohiohunter is on a distinguished road

I got my Allen reel yesterday .Very nice fit and finish for the price.Now I need some line an backing.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-16-2013, 04:51 PM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

I'm impressed by the Wulff Ambush lines. Should turn over about anything you tie on the end. The only down side to them is they are really a shooting head with an integrated running line, thus you have to strip the line back in to head before making your next cast. As to backing, goto a big box sporting goods store and pick up some of the new braided casting line in 20 or 30 lb test. It will be half the diameter of dacron and also half the price.