The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 11:59 PM

highjumper is on a distinguished road
Default Ross F1 dilemma

I'm curious to get forum members' thoughts on the apparently unpopularity of the Ross F1. I say 'unpopular' because online searches provide very limited references to the F1. Furthermore, during a recent road trip through the mountain states I found only one fly shop that carried the F1 (and yes, I stopped at more than one fly shop). These factors make me to believe very few people are purchasing the F1.

While I have heard people complain about the price point and over-engineering for a trout reel, both complaints can also be said of the Hatch reels and they seem to be very popular and abundant. So what is the "reel" story here? I ask because I really like the reel's looks (the guide and nickel silver finishes are both awesome) and concept (sealed drag and carbon fiber), but wondering what I'm missing that everyone else seems to get.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:33 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ross F1 dilemma

When I left the fly fishing retail biz, I sold quite a few F1 reels, but I sold more mid price pointed reels like the Evolution LT.

Here's my take on the F1 not being so popular. Ross Reels is known more for quality at its mid price point level. The Ross Reels customer will gravitate more towards a CLA or an Evo LT before looking at an F1. If a customer is looking for a premium trout reel, he will most likely look at an Abel or a Hatch first. And as a salesman, if I have a customer looking for a premium trout reel, I'm going to pull out the Abel or Hatch first.

Dennis
Old 03-28-2013, 01:11 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

I have been tempted to buy this reel several times, but just never pull the trigger. It is a good looking reel, but like what was said above, Abel and Hatch definitely have the advantage over Ross. Heck last time I bought a reel which was the Hardy DD in black the dude was trying to push me into getting a Hatch lol
Old 03-28-2013, 01:31 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I feel that Ross has gone the wrong way in the weight of their reels.
The F1 for a 5 weight is nearly twice the weight and price of other premium, American made reels.
I didn't look at the F1 again since they first came out and I felt the weight and heard the price.
Those are this consumers reasons for opting to purchase reels other than the F1.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:20 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I have asked this same question too and have found no one on this Forum who owns one. Recently there was a best reel thread: 2013 8-Weight Challenge: Fly Reel Review / Trident Fly Fishing in which the F1 was very highly rated. Also Deneki Outdoors blog tested this reel in South Andros lavishing high praise on it too...but these were for 8-weight, bonefish applications. There are few trout fishing situations that require the drag strength and bop about in a boat durability that flats fishing demands. Though I have not fished one, F1 is far and away the most interesting reel that Ross makes today and, in guide finish, would be a great match for my Scott S4s #8's similar finish reel seat and they are built in the same Colorado town. Hatch and Abel Super are two of my favorite reels but also exceed the performance requirements of most trout applications (though both are more scalable than the majority of high performance reel designs and both are very attractive in all sizes). Light weight reels with fine tunable smooth drags that are large arbored and narrow like Hardy U DD and Nautilus FWX, neither one of which I would use bonefishing are superior trout reels to scaled down, heavier versions of reels with big game design features. Of course if your outfit was going to bang about in a drift boat regularly, fishing big water for big fish with a stout 6-weight...
Old 03-28-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I have asked this same question too and have found no one on this Forum who owns one. Recently there was a best reel thread: 2013 8-Weight Challenge: Fly Reel Review / Trident Fly Fishing in which the F1 was very highly rated. Also Deneki Outdoors blog tested this reel in South Andros lavishing high praise on it too...but these were for 8-weight, bonefish applications. There are few trout fishing situations that require the drag strength and bop about in a boat durability that flats fishing demands. Though I have not fished one, F1 is far and away the most interesting reel that Ross makes today and, in guide finish, would be a great match for my Scott S4s #8's similar finish reel seat and they are built in the same Colorado town. Hatch and Abel Super are two of my favorite reels but also exceed the performance requirements of most trout applications (though both are more scalable than the majority of high performance reel designs and both are very attractive in all sizes). Light weight reels with fine tunable smooth drags that are large arbored and narrow like Hardy U DD and Nautilus FWX, neither one of which I would use bonefishing are superior trout reels to scaled down, heavier versions of reels with big game design features. Of course if your outfit was going to bang about in a drift boat regularly, fishing big water for big fish with a stout 6-weight...
I have a Scott S4 in a 6wt and had the same thoughts regarding the guide finish. But as others are pointing out, it seems that the although the F1 is a nice reel, a similarly priced Hatch or Abel is a better value. Admittedly, I own a Hatch 3+ and love it. The only time I played with the F1 I was disappointed with the slop between the retrieve and drag engagement, although it wasn't a major issue. I just wish it didn't look so good or I would own a Hatch 5+ already!
Old 03-28-2013, 05:23 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I have a friend who just bought a ONE 4wt and put the F1 on the rod. Looks very nice and he can afford it. However I did notice the reel/rod was a little more heavy than I expected. It does balance his rod OK, put still a little butt heavy I think. I gave him my Zenith 4wt and 2000CC Ul and he kinda looked stunned for a minute. I, IMHO, don't see the need for that much reel for a 4wt. but he has the funds so he bought it.

Craig
Old 03-29-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I have asked this same question too and have found no one on this Forum who owns one. Recently there was a best reel thread: 2013 8-Weight Challenge: Fly Reel Review / Trident Fly Fishing in which the F1 was very highly rated....
I just read the challenge, and the F1 was rated relatively low -- the main complaint being the strength of the drag. I realize that any drag is likely sufficient for trout fishing, but if you are going through the trouble of creating a very expensive sealed drag, why not make it strong enough to meet industry norms? Doesn't the Nautilus FWX also have a sealed drag and suffer from a weak top-end? Hmmm.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:35 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I didn't take their impression of overall power as seriously as the low inertial start up and smoothness factors. I fish an FWX for trout and I'll bet it has enough drag power for flats applications too (but I also have an NV...). No it s not going toe to toe with Fortuna but only once with my Fortuna have I ever cranked the drag down to stop a truck levels and that was to stop a 5'+ Lemon.

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

Here is the link to the Deneki F1 review: Ross F1 Reel Review | Fly Fishing Reel
Old 03-29-2013, 08:21 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quite frankly I am a Ross reel fan and many times looked at the F1 and it just came back to it being a heavy $500 reel that is overkill for trout. Honestly I'm gonna sound stupid here but I don't think the reel is that visually appealing compared to an Abel or Hatch. Clearly looks aren't everything but for a $500 trout reel I want lightweight and some bling.

If the F1 were $350 and a few oz's lighter I would have considered it more fully .

Pretty much what everyone else said.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson